News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need to replace an AE dial ceramic number plate on a Stromberg Carlson 1243

Started by patpeery, February 17, 2011, 12:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patpeery

Since the one on mine is worn out, I have purchased a new dial to install.  I have successfully removed the card, ring, and acetate on the wheel.

My question is, does anyone have a link on how to remove the dial wheel and finger stop, or can provide me with any advice on the removal of these two items so I can install the new number ring?

Thank you as always!

rdelius

To remove the fingerwheel, you will need a socket wrench possibly 3/4 " note any spacers under the nut.
the finger stop is held on by 2 screws. Watch out and do not let the dial unwind when you pull off the parts. most SC dials have plastic number rings and not porcelain.Hopefully this is a SC dial
Robby

patpeery

Quote from: rdelius on February 17, 2011, 03:33:08 PM
To remove the fingerwheel, you will need a socket wrench possibly 3/4 " note any spacers under the nut.
the finger stop is held on by 2 screws. Watch out and do not let the dial unwind when you pull off the parts. most SC dials have plastic number rings and not porcelain.Hopefully this is a SC dial
Robby

Any tips to keeping the dial from unwinding?  This is the one thing that really concerns me.

rdelius

If you remove the plastic shield in back, you can keep the dial from turning if you put your finger against the governor wings.
Robby

patpeery

I guess what I want to know is will the finger wheel and stop come off without taking the back off?

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: patpeery on February 17, 2011, 09:35:46 PM
I guess what I want to know is will the finger wheel and stop come off without taking the back off?

Yes

patpeery

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 18, 2011, 09:13:07 AM

Yes

Looking at the dial, I see the center of the fingerwheel has what looks like a slotted screw holding it on.  Just removing that will release it?

LarryInMichigan

What you are describing does not sound like an SC dial.  SC dials have their finger wheels held by a nut.  Can you post a picture of it?

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: patpeery on February 18, 2011, 09:52:39 AM
Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 18, 2011, 09:13:07 AM

Yes

Looking at the dial, I see the center of the fingerwheel has what looks like a slotted screw holding it on.  Just removing that will release it?
You are describing an AE dial, just turn the screw to remove it. It will release the finger wheel that is held on with a flange that slides through it. Your SC plate might not fit. Pictures are a plus....Doug
Kidphone

patpeery

Sorry if this is confusing.  It definitely is a No. 5 dial A.E., as the stamp is on the back of the unit.

I will work to free it tonight and post my results.  Thanks.

LarryInMichigan

You do not need to remove the dial from the phone to change the face plate.  After you unscrew the finger wheel, you will see that the face plate is held by two springy metal fingers.  You can remove the face plate by carefully lifting each finger up and away from the plate.

Larry

patpeery

Got it apart no problem.  However I went to take of the finger stop and clean it and I accidentally let the tension offthe spring.  Well,  thanks to the posted directions on how to re-assemble it I was able to get it back together.  I cleaned it real good in the meantime.  Thanks to all again for their input.