News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

SC transmitters.

Started by Stephen Furley, July 29, 2011, 06:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Furley

One problem with collecting telephones from overseas, many of which are almost unknown in this country, is identifiying the correct parts for them.  Oldphoneworks have parts for three different Stromberg Carlson handsets, which they call the 'curved', 'Horsehoof' and 'Diamond' types.  I think I know the difference between these.

At present I don't have a 'phone with a curved one, but should do soon.  My 1212 has a horsehoof type, which was fitted with the transmitter element on the left in the picture with three shallow grooves in the outer edge and the screw thread, about 40mm in diameter, with a notch cut into it.  This is marked H-46 and P-24562.  I believe that this is actually the element for the curved handset, so I have replaced it with the centre one in the picture which is marked H-48, 200486 and what I think is ASSFM.  Can somebody confirm that this is the correct element for the Horsehoof?

At present my 1243 has a WE type handset on it which I hope to replace soon.  My 1543 has the diamond handset which the Oldphoneworks site says is the correct type.  The element fitted to this is the one on the right, which is marked S.C. CO. 210279, and which has the large, bullet-shaped centre terminal.  Oldphoneworks list a transmitter element for the Diamond, but it is quite different, with two co-planer flat contacts, similar to those on a WE F-1 element.  They also show a holder which would fit this, but this is nothing like my 1543; I'm confused again.

rdelius

Some of the newer bakelite type SC handsets had WE type guts.These had a deeper well for the rec and no brass inserts on the tx end.Found on 1543 and similar sets
Robby

LarryInMichigan

Stromberg Carlson used a number of different transmitters.  The SC "curved" handset that I have has a transmitter like the one on the left.  I have two or three "horsehoof" handsets with transmitters which look like the one on the right, but I also have one which uses the same transmitter as the "curved" handset.  The "diamond" handset uses a transmitter which looks like the one on the right, but it is smaller than the one used in the "horsehoof".  The later 1543s had soft plastic handsets with T1 transmitters.  I hope that this sufficiently confuses the matter.

Larry

Stephen Furley

Thank you.  Sounds like my 1543 must be an early one.