News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

telephone analyzer

Started by southernphoneman, November 23, 2013, 05:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

If I recall correctly, a phone plugged into Jack 1 starts ringing as soon as it detects the ringer. But once you pick up the handset, this stops the ringing until you unplug the phone and reconnect it. Or maybe if you push the reset button then that restarts the cycle.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

Quote from: poplar1 on November 27, 2013, 08:46:20 PM
If I recall correctly, a phone plugged into Jack 1 starts ringing as soon as it detects the ringer. But once you pick up the handset, this stops the ringing until you unplug the phone and reconnect it. Or maybe if you push the reset button then that restarts the cycle.
I wnet back and tried that and it didn't do it then I went back and unplugged it , hit the reset and plugged it into jack 1 and hit ringer again and the same thing, it does everything else perfectly

Phonesrfun

Does the phone have a working and properly connected ringer?  Maybe it is the phone failing the test and not the analyzer.
-Bill G

southernphoneman

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 27, 2013, 11:17:15 PM
Does the phone have a working and properly connected ringer?  Maybe it is the phone failing the test and not the analyzer.
thank you for your response Bill, the phone that I used to test it with has a working ringer because after not getting to work in the analyzer I plugged the phone into the landline and the ringer worked, Gregg

G-Man

Failure of the ringing circuit seems to be common with these units and probably the reason it was sold.

Here is portion of a posting that was made regarding another collector's 1050:

Everything works, but it doesn't produce a ringing voltage. I suspect an output transistor, but have no time to deal with it. The LED indicator blinks, so I know the low end works, but I get no VAC for ringing.

Contempra

if you have the pic from your circuit board it will be more simple to tell you if this piece can be replaced easily.....

Phonesrfun

Quote from: G-Man on November 28, 2013, 06:03:29 AM
Failure of the ringing circuit seems to be common with these units and probably the reason it was sold.

Here is portion of a posting that was made regarding another collector's 1050:

Everything works, but it doesn't produce a ringing voltage. I suspect an output transistor, but have no time to deal with it. The LED indicator blinks, so I know the low end works, but I get no VAC for ringing.

That's a shame, because testing ringing is one of the basic things one needs to test. 
-Bill G

Contempra

Yes Bill but normally a piece must be able to easily replace on an electronic circuit. I do not see why it could not do so especially if he knows the defective part. Any piece can be repaired on an electronic circuit.

Phonesrfun

Sure, but not everyone knows how to diagnose and replace a defective transistor.  Just because a similar analyzer had a particular transistor go out does not mean that his analyzer had the same exact transistor go.  Likely, perhaps, but not certain.

-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: Contempra on November 28, 2013, 07:17:45 PM
Yes Bill but normally a piece must be able to easily replace on an electronic circuit. I do not see why it could not do so especially if he knows the defective part. Any piece can be repaired on an electronic circuit.

If I remember correctly, back during the time period when these instruments were manufactured, they were made field repairable by allowing removal and replacement of complete circuit boards to replace a board with one bad component. I am not familiar with the BK analyzer but have seen other electronic equipment from several manufacturers in that era and they all had field board replaceable repair capabilities. The field tech would have a whole set of boards in his case, replace the one found to be bad and just toss the bad one. It would cost more for the company to return and repair it by changing out the bad component than making a new one and if so repaired, the "repaired" board could not be sold to a customer because the "repaired" board would only be as good as the next weakest component on the board.

Contempra

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 28, 2013, 08:29:24 PM
Sure, but not everyone knows how to diagnose and replace a defective transistor.  Just because a similar analyzer had a particular transistor go out does not mean that his analyzer had the same exact transistor go.  Likely, perhaps, but not certain.

Sure Bill I understand ;)

jfrutschy

I have one...I paid $150 about a year ago because I had no land line and no way to test my work.
I have diagnosed several phones with it,  someone here on the forum posted a link once for me for the operators manual.  It helped a little but its a complex instrument.  I only use certain features on mine but the forum also taught me all bout frequencies and I learned how to check those ringers.

Can't remember the link.  When I get hem I can look on my laptop for the PDF if you would like

John

TelePlay

Quote from: jfrutschy on November 30, 2013, 08:34:08 AM
I have one...I paid $150 about a year ago because I had no land line and no way to test my work.
I have diagnosed several phones with it,  someone here on the forum posted a link once for me for the operators manual.  . . . Can't remember the link.

Here's the link to what appears to be the older 1045:

https://www.bkprecision.com/downloads/manuals/en/1045B_manual.pdf

Originally posted by G-Man at . . .

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9646.msg103014#msg103014