News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Reducing noise in a 5H dial/D-1 clunking problem

Started by Sargeguy, December 16, 2013, 10:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Already read it ;).  That's how I determined they appeared to be working normally.   

Since the problem seems to be present when the dial is off, is maybe a wiring issue?  As I am typing this, I noticed that it has no tone now.  I depress the hook for a few seconds and it's still dead.  Switches seem fine and unobstructed.  Now tone is back.  Now it seems to hang up etc just fine. :P
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Contempra

We can obtain the samething with a contact cleaner too Greg . I used it on my old  WE 500 1953 on all contacts.

Sargeguy

That's the first step with any dial.

I tried the dial with a known good 684B (instead of the 684A) and the issue persists

Wiring on the desk set is all new

Next i will swap out the dial
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Matilo Telephones

Quote from: Jack Ryan on December 17, 2013, 08:54:32 PM
Quote from: Matilo Telephones on December 17, 2013, 02:53:31 PM
Sort of naphta. It is a liquid locally known as wasbenzine, litteraly washing gasoline.

Wikipedia translates it as white gas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_gas

"White Spirit"

Jack

Well, the Wikipedia article states: White gas should not be confused with white spirit, which is more akin to kerosene.

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

poplar1

Quote from: Sargeguy on December 17, 2013, 08:49:08 PM
I may need to do this sooner than later as the dial has some issues:

When I depress the hook/plunger, I get a loud metallic clack in the receiver

When I begin to turn the dial I hear a pop when the switches contact.

The switches seem to operate normally, as do the contacts on the back of the dial as far as I can tell.

Since this happens with the switch hook as well as the dial, it doesn't sound like the dial is the problem. Open red lead to the handset or from subset to set will cause loud pop when hanging up or turning dial.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

None of the wires are open, swapped E-1 from the parts box with different cord causes same issue   :'(
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I have  made some progress:

No longer pops when dialing

Only pops when I release plunger after depressing it for a few seconds.  After breaking tone, I need to depress the plunger for a couple seconds before tone returns, I hear the pop.

I noticed that the phone appears to be re painted, and it looks like the plunger was removed to do so.  The plunger appears a little loose. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Problem resolved:  the the springs in the hookswitch  need to be aligned just right in order for the switches to make contact with one another properly.  Slight bends can result in noises when the switch is depressed or released.  I reduced it to a click from a loud pop.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

On the hook switch timing is everything. 

When taking the phone off the hook, The GN-W contacts should close after the BK-Y contacts.  The spacers are made to make sure that is the case, unless they get bent.  When hanging up, GN-W opens before BK-Y.  The reason for this is that there are transient current spikes when the BK-Y contacts make to turn the primary circuit part of the phone on and again when they break to turn the phone off.  The GN-W contacts are timed so that the receiver is turned off a split second before the rest of the phone is turned off, and the receiver is turned on slightly after the main phone is turned on.  This is to avoid the loud pops.

The W-BB terminals of the dial are supposed to do the same,  When turning the dial off center these contacts break to turn off the receiver before the pulsing begins.  When the dial has finished pulsing, the W-BB contacts make again to turn the receiver back on.

You can observe these timings if you look carefully at the switches and the dial while operating them slowly.
-Bill G