News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 3 Slot Payphone Basics

Started by AE_Collector, December 09, 2017, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Payphones are fascinating, maybe especially the North American 3 slot phones. This thread shows me the need of a book about North American 3 slot phones and their technical solutions.  (Haf; you may be the writer?)
So far this thread is the best we have, and I want to say thank you all far all that information!

Please correct me if I am wrong or you disagree.

OK even the extremely rare wooden payphones are of great interest, but when it comes to rotary It looks like Gray "invented" the 3 slot pretty vandal resistant nice looking telephone with a system for recognizing the coins by sound signals.

Compared to European square boxes the 3-slotter are nicely designed, and smaller.  The validators was so well designed so they survived for decades! And even pretty early the prepay with coin return was an option. In Norway the payphones with coin return needed 2 pairs until lat 1960'ies.

dsk

rdelius

LPC seris sets had a cast zinc or Alimunum back board. A terminal block with bo fingers was used and an amphonal connector was used to connect the upper housing..The LPC backboard also has a slot under the terminal strip

Payphone installer

And the two coil relay is a Gray and worth a wad.

dsk

What design of the handset was the standard on the AE-3slotter in the year of???he design of the 3 slot phones are so old that the plastic handset probably are the latest.  Should it be an other on this? (An of-course not a coiled cord.)

poplar1

Basic design was 1912 - 1972.
Later AE had same handset as AE 80 and AE 90
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

guido90095

I have an AE82 payphone that is complete with an older 2 coil coin relay. I get dial tone and the transmitter and receiver are working, but I am unable to break dial tone. I would like this to work like a regular telephone.
I've tried shorting the upper housing relay and still unable to break dial tone. I also swapped out the dial just in case there was a problem, but still unable to break dial tone.
Can anyone help solve this??

HarrySmith

First - Welcome to the forum! Can post some pictures of your payphone, insides & out. We are a very visual group here. We do have an in house payphone expert who will likely chime in but pictures would be helpful.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Stan S

There are two switches in your phone that are designed to prevent dialing. The first one is a set of contacts on the coin relay. Those contacts short the pulsing contacts of the dial.They are there to prevent toll fraud. Those contacts open and allow dialing if the coin trigger has been hit by a deposit of a coin. The second switch is in the top of the phone. It counts nickels. It's the gold colored assembly with the arm and the spring wire. Lift the spring wire out of the groove in the arm. The arm will flip up and the micro switch will open and take the second short off of the pulsing contacts. With both switches open your dial should now work.