"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE-80? pics

Started by RB, August 02, 2018, 03:29:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Got this at an antique store for $15
Does anybody know where to get the plastic ring that goes around the bottom?
Is this a good phone? first time owning one.

FABphones

AE 40?

The Matrix phone. Love them, one of my top 3 phones on the favourite list. Chrome bands too - nice.

Good find, good price.  :)

* I'm still learning my way around phones on your side of the pond. Some very very nice designs over there..  :D
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

stub

RB,
       Your phone is a AE 40 with updated (81) transmitter and the right (41) receiver . It will work fine with these in it . You can get the base gasket from Gary Golf    gdgoff@gmail.com  . Send him a e-mail and tell him you need the base gasket for a AE 40 and he will tell you if he has any and how much. Hope this helps.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

RB

jsowers

Old Phone Shop has the AE40 rubber gasket for $21.50, which is more than you paid for the phone.

http://www.oldphoneshop.com/products/automatic-electric-monophone-34-and-40-stromberg-carlson-1212-bottom-rubber-gasket.html

Others may know a cheaper supplier or a way to make your own gasket. I remember Gary Goff having them once, but I'm not sure if he still sells them. (edit) I see Stub has already provided that information. Thanks, Stub!

The AE40 was once called the Shirley Temple phone. I remember Laverne and Shirley had one in their basement apartment on the TV show of the same name. It was also the model of phone my parents had from 1951-1973. Yes, it's a good phone and fairly collectible, so you got a good deal. The black ones are made of Bakelite. They often have frequency ringers inside, so it may not ring on a regular phone line. Please post a pic of the inside showing the ringer and we can tell you what it has. The chrome trim is a plus and not always found. You should enter your phone in Find of the Month for August when the thread is started.
Jonathan

RB

LarryInMichigan

That is one of the most stylish (IMO) phones to collect.  The $15 price was very good.  The handset with the chrome bands is worth more than that.

Larry