"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I hook up a ringer in a Multiline phone

Started by WesternElectricBen, September 19, 2013, 07:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I just bought a ITT/NT green multiline phone off the internet the other day, and it came with no ringer. I was told a C4A ringer will work, and I found one that matched dates in a parts phone, but I'm unsure on how to hook it up. I know how to hook up a ringer in a regular 500, but i'm guessing I will have to wire one of the wires to a terminal under the keys?

So, could you please tell me how to hook up the ringer?

Thank you,
Ben

G-Man

A model number would be of assistance but since you did not provide one, simply search the TCI Library for the correct wiring diagram. From there you should be able to discern the tip and ring terminals for the individual lines. This will allow you to connect the ringer across whichever one you desire.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on September 19, 2013, 07:20:31 PM
Hi,

I just bought a ITT/NT green multiline phone off the internet the other day, and it came with no ringer. I was told a C4A ringer will work, and I found one that matched dates in a parts phone, but I'm unsure on how to hook it up. I know how to hook up a ringer in a regular 500, but i'm guessing I will have to wire one of the wires to a terminal under the keys?

So, could you please tell me how to hook up the ringer?

Thank you,
Ben

G-Man

Your photo did not show up when I first accessed your message.

It appears to be a 56x-series instrument. We have previously addressed this and I seem to recall that you were part of that thread, but perhaps not. I will search for the previous postings when I get a chance. In the meantime someone else may be able to assist you.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on September 19, 2013, 07:30:10 PM
Your photo did not show up when I first accessed your message.

It appears to be a 56x-series instrument. We have previously addressed this and I seem to recall that you were part of that thread, but perhaps not. I will search for the previous postings when I get a chance. In the meantime someone else may be able to assist you.

I don't remember about making a post of multiline ringers, and I was having troubles finding the model number because its a ITT and I don't know how find a model number on one... but its does have the markings of DTA and the number code but nothing else.

Ben

G-Man

Here is a schematic for a WECo 565HK key telephone. It should be applicable to whatever your instrument is.

I have circled all of the line terminals so you can connect your ringer to whichever line you wish. 

G-Man

QuoteI don't remember about making a post of multiline ringers, and I was having troubles finding the model number because its a ITT and I don't know how find a model number on one... but its does have the markings of DTA and the number code but nothing else.

Ben

This thread may be of assistance-

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9594.0

poplar1

FACTORY WIRING:
Red to RR
Black to RT
Slate to K
Slate-Red to A

COMMON AUDIBLE:
If you are connecting it to your 551B key system and want it to ring on 2 or more lines, you would connect the red and black ringer wires to RR and RT, where the yellow-slate and slate-yellow wires of the mounting cord are connected. For this setup, you need the optional ring generator which is not part of the "shoebox" power supply. Usually, the slate and slate-red ringer wires are connected to K and A, even though the BSPs say to bypass the capacitor.

LINE RINGER:
At the key system, cross-connect the slate-yellow pair from the set to tip and ring of the desired line. (Make sure the slate and slate-red are connected to K and A in the set).

NOTE:
If you want it to ring on only one line, you can also connect the red and black ringer wires to 1R and 1T (inside the set) for the 1st line, or 2R/2T to ring only on the second line, etc. Connect the slate ringer wire to K and the red ringer wire to A.

1R/1T= Blue-white pair
2R/2T= Brown-white pair
3R/3T= Orange-red pair
4R/4T= Slate-red pair
5R/5T= Green-black pair
RR/RT= Slate-yellow pair
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on September 19, 2013, 07:51:11 PM
QuoteI don't remember about making a post of multiline ringers, and I was having troubles finding the model number because its a ITT and I don't know how find a model number on one... but its does have the markings of DTA and the number code but nothing else.

Ben

This thread may be of assistance-

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9594.0

Woops, though I think thats a different purpose.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on September 19, 2013, 08:06:46 PM
FACTORY WIRING:
Red to RR
Black to RT
Slate to K
Slate-Red to A

COMMON AUDIBLE:
If you are connecting it to your 551B key system and want it to ring on 2 or more lines, you would connect the red and black ringer wires to RR and RT, where the yellow-slate and slate-yellow wires of the mounting cord are connected. For this setup, you need the optional ring generator which is not part of the "shoebox" power supply. Usually, the slate and slate-red ringer wires are connected to K and A, even though the BSPs say to bypass the capacitor.

LINE RINGER:
At the key system, cross-connect the slate-yellow pair from the set to tip and ring of the desired line. (Make sure the slate and slate-red are connected to K and A in the set).

NOTE:
If you want it to ring on only one line, you can also connect the red and black ringer wires to 1R and 1T (inside the set) for the 1st line, or 2R/2T to ring only on the second line, etc. Connect the slate ringer wire to K and the red ringer wire to A.

1R/1T= Blue-white pair
2R/2T= Brown-white pair
3R/3T= Orange-red pair
4R/4T= Slate-red pair
5R/5T= Green-black pair
RR/RT= Slate-yellow pair

Thank you, it should know ring, I did the first wiring you told me about, my KSU is down currently.

Ben