News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Using a G handset with 3 wires

Started by McHeath, November 20, 2011, 04:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Okay I know that someplace here long ago this question was asked and answered, but I can't find it.

How do you wire a G series handset for a 3 conductor handset cord?

Adam

Very easy.  Normal G handset cords have four wires, Red, Black and two Whites.  Assuming your cord just has red, black and one white lead, wire to the network as a four-wire cord, (white to "GN" terminal, black to "B" and red to "R") but leave out the second white lead that joins the red lead at terminal "R".

Inside the handset, wire as normally, red and black go to the two transmitter contacts, white goes to one side of the receiver, and add a local jumper wire between the connection of the red wire on the transmitter and the other open receiver connection.

If you have an AE cord, the conductors will be Red, Green and Yellow.  All the way through, use Green for the what would normally be the red lead in a G handset, use Red for what would be black in the G handset cord, and Yellow for what would normally be the white lead.

If you have an AE cord, you might not need to make a jumper internally inside the handset, an AE cord I happen to have in stock is already "built that way" (its green lead has a spade tip and then continues on to a lead which goes up to the receiver which ends in another spade tip).

So, to recap for an AE cord with its already pre-made jumper:  In the set, Yellow to "GN", Red to "B" and Green to "R".  Inside the handset, the Red and Green go the transmitter and the Yellow and Green go to the receiver.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

McHeath

Perfect!  Just what I needed and it works fine.

What I've got is an old 3 wire straight handset cord that I put on my 12/51 WE 500.  The phone came with a refurb handset and cord from the 60's and I've tried to return it to an earlier look. 

Thanks.

Dennis Markham

I was about to do just the opposite----wire a 4 conductor handset cord with a 3 conductor handset.  I have a long coiled cord I want to put on an F1 handset (wall phone).  I thought I would just double up the white wires where white is connected.  Does anyone see a problem with that??

Phonesrfun

That will work just fine, except you will have some extra lengths of white leads inside the F handset, especially if it is a solid handle.  Also, the way the cord is held in place is quite different between F and G handsets, but the coild cord can probably be jammed into the F handset hole and maybe something rigged up to keep it from pulling out.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bill, I will have to do some modifications for sure.  I have a clamp-on restraint to attach it under the screw on the F1 handset.