News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trash Rescue

Started by Doug Rose, December 28, 2011, 01:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Harry....ever seen feet like these before? As cool as they are, I think the handset cord is superb! A neat set.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

It looks very nice, Doug!  I think it would be a good set to advertise around St Patty's Day.

TelePlay

Doug,

How many layers of paint did WE put on a black 1940 302 metal shell? As I work on the one pictured above, I am seeing two layers in areas where the handset ends would rub on the shell. The under layer is black but not as shiny or thick as the top layer. Both sides show about an inch and a half square area with the top layer missing and the layer lines very visible. Did they use a black primer. Is that what I'm seeing?

You can see the area quite well in this picture I posted above. I thought it was a dirt layer but it's not, it's a top layer of paint worn or chipped away by the handset.

http://tinyurl.com/7o5mwuw

GG

Another beautiful job, Doug, and a contagious trend.

TelePlay, re. yours: I'd strip it and do what Doug did.  If I had a metal 302 around I'd do likewise. 

Doug Rose

Quote from: TelePlay on December 31, 2011, 12:24:25 AM
Doug,

How many layers of paint did WE put on a black 1940 302 metal shell? As I work on the one pictured above, I am seeing two layers in areas where the handset ends would rub on the shell. The under layer is black but not as shiny or thick as the top layer. Both sides show about an inch and a half square area with the top layer missing and the layer lines very visible. Did they use a black primer. Is that what I'm seeing?

You can see the area quite well in this picture I posted above. I thought it was a dirt layer but it's not, it's a top layer of paint worn or chipped away by the handset.

http://tinyurl.com/7o5mwuw

It looks like your phone might have been repainted at some time. This is why it looked so good from the front in your first picture. It was not uncommon for metal phones to be repainted.  As far as I know WE used one coat of paint. The phone I just stripped came off all at once. The paint just lifted off. Just bubbled off in huge sheet.

Just remember, stripping a phone can cause huge disappointment when underneath is a lot worse than the paint that was on it. Been there! BUT there is only one way to find out, so if I were you, I'd give it a shot. It can always bee repainted or have Dennis' plate it.

This is where the fun begins.

Good luck....Doug
Kidphone

Babybearjs

OH DOUG! how beautiful! I've got a 440AC I want to do like that! you did a great job! the bare metal finish is to die for! DON't EVER SELL THOSE! definatly keepers!
John

Doug Rose

The Phone Room is full. I kept one. The 302 is on eBay this week. I have never seen a cord or feet like this. Truly different...Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290654256393
Kidphone