News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12by 12 NET Flange Sign

Started by Doug Rose, August 09, 2015, 02:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Jan got up early while I did eBay and hit the flea market. She found me a wonderful NET 12" by 12" flange sign. It was covered with paint and I was really diappointed with I first saw it. The paint was 1/2" thick in some places. I felt there was no hope without ruining the sign. BUT Porcelain is resiliant.

Being a Boston Boy, I love the NET stuff.

Citrus stripper and fine steel wool, followed by Brasso and I have a nice displayable sign for the Phone room.

Between srtipping the #1 and stripping tons of paint of of this beauty, even with many changes of gloves....the hands are Prunes!!  8)

Time for a Rasberry Shock Top Wheat.....or two   ::)

Doug
Kidphone

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Great sign, Doug! Almost no rust or missing porcelain at all!

I have yet to come across a Wisconsin Telephone Company sign at a decent price. Maybe someday... :)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

Many NET&T signs are very common, such as the 16" version of this sign.   The 12"x12" version is harder to find, especially the flat, one-sided type.  Fabius could tell you just how rare it is.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Doug Rose

thanks guys.....its already hanging in the phone Room. Cleaned up much better than expected......love the NET stuff....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 09, 2015, 06:25:22 PM
Many NET&T signs are very common, such as the 16" version of this sign.   The 12"x12" version is harder to find, especially the flat, one-sided type.  Fabius could tell you just how rare it is.

Yep, the flange 11x11 is quite scarce. And Doug's has the thick white boarder indication an earlier version. 
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Doug Rose

thanks Tom....I just guessed it was 12 x 12, you are correct it is 11 by 11. I just wish I had taken before pictures, I always think of them after!  >:(  Any guess on when it was made? I know it has a '39 Bell. ...thanks to all....Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 11, 2015, 07:27:41 PM
thanks Tom....I just guessed it was 12 x 12, you are correct it is 11 by 11. I just wish I had taken before pictures, I always think of them after!  >:(  Any guess on when it was made? I know it has a '39 Bell. ...thanks to all....Doug

Doug's NET&T sign has the '21 Bell which was the Bell System logo from 1921 to 1939 when it was replaced with the '39 Bell.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Doug Rose

thanks Tom....I do appreciate all the info...Doug
Kidphone