News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Someone got a DEAL on ebay -- A WE 302 with a #1 dial

Started by Desert Phone Guy, November 07, 2018, 11:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

If you look closely at the straight on picture you can see where they ground a little out of the case to fit the fingerstop. There is even a scratch where they must have slipped with the Dremel.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Desert Phone Guy

Well, this is like the winning lottery ticket!  Wonder if one of the members here was the lucky buyer?  May take awhile for this to resurface. but when you have something this rare, I would want to show it off.

Partyline4

Desert Phone Guy

I know only of 5 Number One dials, including this one.

Partyline4

Something new to keep an eye out for - FOR SURE!

Now that I think, I do remember someone finding one of these a few years ago really cheap at a flea market or something??? It was on the forum I remember. It was a big hoorah. I wonder if they always have that WE number card?? I guess the real IDENT would be the STOP on the finger stop.....???

Ktownphoneco

I believe that the number plate moved with the finger wheel, until one's finger contacted the finger stop.      If you look at the patent information, there are detailed drawings of the dial and it's parts included. 

Jeff 

Partyline4

I would hate to tell the seller what they let go...Hope they never find out. I would be thoroughly pickled.

Doug Rose

This should be a lesson to all eBay sellers.  NEVER put a buy it now on an auction if you have no idea of the value.  Seller is probably thrilled for what they paid for it, but would be in shock on what the #1 dial is worth to the collector...Doug
Kidphone

dsk

I would never have guessed that it was so rare, and I f I was the buyer I hade been disapointed about the telephone was ruined by grinding away the room needed to put in the wrong dial.  8)

Since you obviously has ideas about rare dials, I have these (2 x Btmc 7006A and one 7001E) I just bought them as spares.
Does these have any value, except for the one who is missing just this one on their phone?

dsk

Ktownphoneco

The word "STOP" on the finger stop continued for a period of time after the introduction of the W.E. type 2 dials.     I had 2 of the early dials at one point, and sold the earliest one to another collector.    The finger stop was marked "STOP", but did not have anything stamped on the side where it mounts to the side of the dial.    The back of the dial was stamped 2A.
The one in the pictures below is the second one I acquired, and which I've hung onto.    The "2A" on the back of the dial has been struck out with 2 "XX's", and the side of the finger stop has been stamped 2AB.    Click on pictures to enlarge.

Jeff