News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ae type 24 dial plate - black

Started by wds, October 25, 2015, 06:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

This dial plate came with those dials I purchased last week - appears to be NOS.  Anyone know what application this would have been used for?
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on October 25, 2015, 06:04:39 PM
This dial plate came with those dials I purchased last week - appears to be NOS.  Anyone know what application this would have been used for?
I have seen them on AE 40 Navy Phones with the locking handset....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Yes, I have too - both types of locking handset.

I don't know if these are original.

Jack

wds

Thanks - after looking at some pictures it does seem to be mainly used on the ship phone.  Also looks great on the other models as well. 
Dave

stub

wds,
       The first reference I found was in AE Catalog 4055 - C , June 1940 , pg. 33 , cat # AK - 22 .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

wds

thanks for that.  My number plate is metal with printed numbers.    I'll check tonight to see if the "0" to "1" are luminous.
Dave

Mr. Bones

Luminous numerals? :o

Now I totally want one!!! ;D

Perfect headboard / nightstand AE! 8)

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

wds

Can't get the numbers to glow.  Either it's just white paint or the luminous material has faded to the "off" position.
Dave

G-Man

Here is an excerpt from a manual that AE composed for the USN:

wds

since my letters don't glow in the dark anymore, can I assume I'm not radio-active?  Maybe I should stop carrying the dial plate around in my pocket.
Dave

unbeldi

Does it glow for a little bit when exposed to a fluorescent light and then observed in the dark immediately?

G-Man

Quote from: wds on October 27, 2015, 04:16:37 PM
since my letters don't glow in the dark anymore, can I assume I'm not radio-active?  Maybe I should stop carrying the dial plate around in my pocket.
Note that the catalog description does not state that the black plastic number plate is luminous; instead, it is the "Metal Number Card" that has its numerals finished with luminous paint.

Here is a description of the number card from an earlier AE catalog that is located in the TCI Library.

NorthernElectric

Quote from: G-Man on October 27, 2015, 04:58:04 PMNote that the catalog description does not state that the black plastic number plate is luminous; instead, it is the "Metal Number Card" that has its numerals finished with luminous paint.

Is the one that Jack posted such a card?

Cliff

WEBellSystemChristian

I actually think those plates look a little creepy on an AE40, the regular white porcelain ones look 'friendlier' to me.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

wds

Yes, mine is the metal one.   I've held it up to incandescent, fluorescent, and set it on the window sill all morning, and there was no glowing at all.  I wonder how long the luminous material actually lasts.

I kind of agree with the creepy look - maybe the police departments used the black dials plates on the black phones to intimidate the unlucky people who got to visit the police department.
Dave