AE 183 Space-Maker and ringer

Started by stub, March 08, 2016, 11:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Here's my AE pink 183 and matching Type 33 ringer box .    stub

left click on pics to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

A thing of beauty Stub! The AE 183 is one of my very favorite AE phones. They just don't make phones as unique as the 183 any more.

This isn't mine but here is your phones "Not so Distant Relative" an AE 83 SpaceMaker in Camelia Pink with a painted 32 Ringer.

Terry

stub

Terry,
              S W E E T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

Those SpaceMakers are very sleek and beautiful. The 183 looks like something out of science fiction.

I've told this before, but it bears repeating. My senior year in college I lived in the spare bedroom of a mid-century modern house in Chapel Hill and there was an ivory AE SpaceMaker installed in the kitchen along with an ivory AE80 in the master bedroom. The SpaceMaker had an ivory type 33 ringer to its left and it was all on the wall between the countertop and kitchen cabinets and must have been the original phone in the house. The house was what today would be called "open floor plan" with no doors between the kitchen, dining and living room and you could hear that AE ringer all over the house. It was the only ringer since the one in the bedroom was disconnected.

I recall it was the early model with a chrome fingerwheel instead of the later clear plastic. It had the standard AE number card like the one on Terry's phone. One day out of the clear Carolina blue sky a Southern Bell installer showed up and I was the only one home. I got to pick the two phones they installed to replace the two AE phones installed. I wish I had asked if I could keep the old phones, but I was raised on "the phone is the property of the phone company" so I never asked. I shudder to think what happened to them. Southern Bell evidently bought whatever independent telco served Chapel Hill and they were in the process of replacing all the phones.

My landlady actually liked the LED lighted dial of the ivory rotary Trimlines I picked out, but the single bell of the Trimline just wasn't up to the task like the AE one was. This was 1981, so she still rented the phones. It was the one and only time I ever got to pick out phones from the phone company, so being a phone nut since childhood, I never forgot that experience.
Jonathan

rdelius

The Telephone company in Chapel Hill was associated with the University.Sold to Southern bell about 1976.Was surprised that it did not go to GTE in Durham