News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Need a diagram or instruction on how to wire up...

Started by LarryH, November 07, 2011, 10:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryH

This Automatic Electric phone for my mom for Christmas.

It had the four wire setup and I am switching it over.

LarryH

Okay... So I tried wiring it up by matching where the three wire cord was with the new two where red and green once were.  It works but still no ring.  What might be wrong here?

LarryInMichigan

Connect the wire from the terminal to which the yellow wire was previously connected to the terminal with the green wire.  If that does not work, move it to the terminal with the red wire.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Does the phone have a straight line ringer?  Frequency ringer?

LarryH

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 07, 2011, 07:59:10 PM
Does the phone have a straight line ringer?  Frequency ringer?
I know I am showing my ignorance, but I don't know what the difference is.

LarryH

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 07, 2011, 07:49:15 PM
Connect the wire from the terminal to which the yellow wire was previously connected to the terminal with the green wire.  If that does not work, move it to the terminal with the red wire.

Larry
Larry I will will give that a try tonight.  Thanks, Larry

Bill

I think that "straight line" simply means "not frequency sensitive".

Bill

LarryInMichigan

LarryH,

If that doesn't help, look at the sticker on the ringer and see if it has "SL" printed on it or some number with a '~' (like "50~").  If it as the latter, it is a frequency ringer and will need to be modified or replaced.

Larry

LarryH

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on November 08, 2011, 06:54:35 PM
LarryH,

If that doesn't help, look at the sticker on the ringer and see if it has "SL" printed on it or some number with a '~' (like "50~").  If it as the latter, it is a frequency ringer and will need to be modified or replaced.

Larry
It has a 30 ~.  So does that mean it has to be replaced?  Also, I tried moving the wire to the terminal with the red one and the little arm between the bells wiggles but doesn't move enough to strike the bells.  Thoughts?

LarryInMichigan

You have a 30Hz frequency ringer.  You can replace it or try to modify it.  I just recently modified the same type of ringer, but i cannot remember what I did (old age).  The easiest solution is to replace the ringer.  Someone here might have a spare or you could ask Steve Hilsz (http://phonesurplus.com/).  AE80 ringers should not be hard to find.

Larry

Phonesrfun

Quote from: LarryH on November 08, 2011, 07:41:25 PM
It has a 30 ~.  So does that mean it has to be replaced?  Also, I tried moving the wire to the terminal with the red one and the little arm between the bells wiggles but doesn't move enough to strike the bells.  Thoughts?

Generally, it needs to be replaced with a straight line ringer.  As Larry in Michigan stated, they should not be hard to find.  Remember where you have the current ringer connected where it "wiggles".  That is where you will want to connect a staight line ringer and it will really ring.
-Bill G