News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE D1 with fitted base ringer

Started by david@london, May 05, 2017, 02:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david@london

this D1 with an attached ringer in its base is interesting.....i wondered whether the ringer was made by western electric.

ebay link

unbeldi

This is not an original configuration, even when the seller claims originality.

I think both, the mini-network and the ringer are ITT parts.   The ringer is a type 148.
But it is nicely done, much in spirit with the GN-4676 which married a 202 with 684 subset in one unit, except this is more compact.

Babybearjs

would you look at that..... wonder where they got the extension ring.... using the ITT parts is a great idea, even if it not "original", hey... but it works!
John

mariepr

Quote from: Babybearjs on May 09, 2017, 10:18:48 PM
would you look at that..... wonder where they got the extension ring.... using the ITT parts is a great idea, even if it not "original", hey... but it works!

Maybe it was fabricated from a slotted flat or angle bar?  I would think the manual drilling of precisely placed vent holes would be challenging to most of us.  It's really nice work. 

Jim Stettler

I think the ring was created by re-builders in the 1970's. It is a practical way to make a compleate working telephone.
They probably made quite a few of them.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Quote from: mariepr on May 09, 2017, 10:45:32 PM
Maybe it was fabricated from a slotted flat or angle bar?  I would think the manual drilling of precisely placed vent holes would be challenging to most of us.  It's really nice work.

Good eye. Yes, probably made by first drilling the vent holes and then having the professional bending equipment to get the oval just right without over bending the vented areas, but, then, the holes do not take away that much metal to cause a bending issue.

That flat metal was not thin and the edges look professionally rounded off so it is well made. I'd like to see a close up photo of the inside at the seam, to see how they joined the flat into an oval - probably spot welded.

Anyone creating that, taking the time to design the part and process, most like did not do a one-off so there may be others out there. But it is nice work and a ingenious way to solve that problem, for that re-builder.

markosjal

This is something that someone should make... Are you listening Oldphoneworks?
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

WEBellSystemChristian

It would be kinda fun to use a period correct network/condenser connected to an external ringer. The base itself already looks very '30s... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

The 101A induction coil was not generally referred to as a "network", although when combined with the capacitor and the internal resistance winding of the coil, I guess you could technically say it is a network.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Phonesrfun on May 16, 2017, 05:58:36 PM
The 101A induction coil was not generally referred to as a "network", although when combined with the capacitor and the internal resistance winding of the coil, I guess you could technically say it is a network.
Sorry, I was really tired when I wrote that. Yes, you're right, induction coil.

Although, I guess it is a network of sorts. It's sort of a central wiring point inside a phone, like a network is.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

unbeldi

In standard electrical or electronics parlance a network is an interconnection of electronic components, primarily of the passive types, resistors, capacitors, inductances, etc.

Since the three windings of an AST induction coil are in fact interconnected already in the part, it seems perfectly in line with that custom, but we know that this was not standard WECo practice.  WECo had their own, sometimes strange, ways of naming things.

mazda_matt

Quote from: markosjal on May 15, 2017, 03:45:18 PM
This is something that someone should make... Are you listening Oldphoneworks?

We're listening, but unfortunately this takes away from the original design of the phone. Personally I think it wrecks it. Cool idea though.

-OPW
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

HarrySmith

OPW concerned about "the original design of the phone"?!

That seems a bit odd?!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone

mazda_matt

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 26, 2017, 05:38:56 PM
OPW concerned about "the original design of the phone"?!

That seems a bit odd?!

Haha yes, we may change the internals from time to time. But the design is never altered!

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)