News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with AE 90 Wiring!

Started by eBass, September 02, 2015, 10:51:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

I just measured the acceptable pulsing speed of my Xlink BTTN.

I took the first set of measurements at a break ratio of 60%.
Dial tone was broken from 7.5 pulses per second (pps) to 11.5 pps. Digit decoding was ok at 7.5, but on the high end I started to get errors at 11.0, one miscounted digit (first digit 5 instead of 6) in several attempts.

The AE dials are designed for 61.5% break.  That increased the lower boundary to 7.6 pps, ergo minor effect. Same on the high end, no significant difference.

So this seems to imply that your AE is seriously slow.  An acceptable range usually is ca. 8 to 12 pps. And the nominal speed is 10.0 pps.

unbeldi

Have you looked at the latest software update for the Xlink gateway?
The latest version was just released end of August with the reason "Special support added for antique telephones".

I don't remember for sure what the old menus looked like, but I think [I found screen shots of the previous version] They added a new tab "Antique".  It contains an option for extra ring power, a tip/ring battery reversal, and  pulse dialing detection for "Out of Spec Pulse Dialing".

Looks like I need to repeat my measurements now (but not now).
I would suggest you upgrade the software and give it a try!

eBass

I will try to find a PC and update the xLink. Since the dial is still slow, is it possible that I did not oil enough and should go back in and lubricate again to make sure?

[I tried the pull the dial with my finger to speed it up. It did not register each number, but some numbers were registered on the phone when I did it that way.]

unbeldi

Quote from: eBass on September 12, 2015, 07:16:20 PM
I will try to find a PC and update the xLink. Since the dial is still slow, is it possible that I did not oil enough and should go back in and lubricate again to make sure?

[I tried the pull the dial with my finger to speed it up. It did not register each number, but some numbers were registered on the phone when I did it that way.]

Since you already cleaned the dial and oiled it, and it is running smoothly, further oiling wouldn't improve speed, I don't think. On the opposite, perhaps, too much oil increases drag in the bearing points.

eBass

An update! I updated the xLink software, turned on the Extra Ring Power and the Out of Spec Pulse Dialing.

I can now dial out!

However, no gain on the phone ringing upon an incoming call. I even tried the different Tip/Ring Voltage options, and that had no effect.

One step closer!

Could it be a wiring issue with the ringer? Should the yellow wire be attached to anything now?

poplar1

The 54~ ringer is not designed to ring on 20~ or 30~. The Xink is probably furnishing either 20~ or 30~ (Hertz).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

eBass

Even with the update to the xLink software that has "Extra Ringer Power"?

If that is still the case, now that everything else is functioning ... how do I get this 54 hz ringer to ring!?

unbeldi

Well, I am glad that the software load worked for you.  I will measure sometime, just what it is they modified.  The only obvious changes are the tolerances for make/break ratio.   When that button is clicked it make them both extremely wide.

There is nothing you can do to make that ringer ring electrically, unless you use an analog telephone adapter for voip that can be set for frequency ringing.  It is not the "power" of the ringing current, but the AC frequency.

Some people have used a saw to weaken the clapper spring just right, so it responds to 20 hertz.  But, thank you, no thank you, for me. I want to hear them ring at their intended frequency.

Many people buy straight-line ringers from collectors who want to sell them.

Another option is to use an external ringer box or chime.

Yet another is to install a smaller buzzer, like was used often in key system telephones. I found the pictured one in a phone. It produces a high pitch chirping.

G-Man

Quote from: eBass on September 20, 2015, 05:30:48 PM
Even with the update to the xLink software that has "Extra Ringer Power"?

If that is still the case, now that everything else is functioning ... how do I get this 54 hz ringer to ring!?

Ditto to what popular1 and unbeldi have already stated. Frequency ringers were designed to NOT ring at other frequencies. They were used on party-lines to selectively ring a specific subscriber.

Without this (or other) selective calling feature, subscribers would have to listen to the ringing of the other subscribers on his party-line. Often, there could be 8-10 other subscribers on the same line.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: G-Man link=topic=14899.msg155564#msg155564 date=144279224. how do I get this 54 hz ringer to ring!?

/quote]
  You won't

Ditto to what popular1 and unbeldi have already stated. Frequency ringers were designed to NOT ring at other frequencies. They were used on party-lines to selectively ring a specific subscriber.

Without this (or other) selective calling feature, subscribers would have to listen to the ringing of the other subscribers on his party-line. Often, there could be 8-10 other subscribers on the same line.

-Bill G

mentalstampede

I tried tweaking on the frequency ringer in my AE90, and was eventually able to make it ring, but it was not exactly reliable or scientific. Finding a straight line ringer/capacitor assembly is your best option. Swapping it out is simple, and you know if will work reliably.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

AE_Collector

But as has been mentioned a couple of times, on a nice old phone like this it is too bad to not just leave it original. A frequency ringer isn't a "broken ringer" but one that is no longer supported, just like many other old phones that we covet. Either hearing the ringer in another phone or adding an extension bell type ringer separate to the phone is preferable in many ways.

Terry

unbeldi

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 26, 2015, 02:18:41 PM
But as has been mentioned a couple of times, on a nice old phone like this it is too bad to not just leave it original. A frequency ringer isn't a "broken ringer" but one that is no longer supported, just like many other old phones that we covet. Either hearing the ringer in another phone or adding an extension bell type ringer separate to the phone is preferable in many ways.

Terry

I could not agree more.

I feel a frequency ringer is an important part of telephone history, and not at all an unattractive one either, and should be preserved. In fact I find it a rather interesting and entertaining part of that history. At some point as late as the 1950s ca 80% of all telephone in N.A. were installed on party lines.

Collectors expend great effort and go the extra mile when it comes to polishing phones, painting, restoring wood, but when it comes to something as fundamental as signaling there seems to be a total disconnect.

mentalstampede

Quote from: AE_Collector on September 26, 2015, 02:18:41 PM

Terry

Frequency ringers are certainly an interesting aspect of the obsolescent telephony we are all fond of, but it all comes down to the individual collector and what he or she is wanting to accomplish with an old telephone or collection thereof; if one has many telephones of many different types it does indeed make no sense to molest otherwise intact examples of party-line units. On the other hand, if it's a question of modifying it to work with straight-line ringing as opposed to tossing it in the rubbish heap or making a kitschy lamp out of it, I think we can all agree that swapping out a ringer is the preferable option. And with most phones, such as the AE90 series, swapping a ringer is a non-permanent alteration, and does no damage to the components whatsoever. Also, with the non-WE units, straight-line ringing units are arguably rarer than the various party-line types anyway.

A similar argument could also be made that it is better to preserve a beat-up, unrestored, and non-functional telephone as opposed to repairing, polishing, and making repairs as necessary.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein