News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

kjobenhavns

Started by thirdgeneration, April 05, 2011, 01:21:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thirdgeneration

Anyone have a wiring diagram for a kjobenhavns telefon ? Everything seems to work but the ringer.

bingster

I can make up a diagram based on my D-08 telephone, but before I do, can you confirm your model?  KTAS (Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab or Copenhagen Telephone Corporation) made many different models.  The most common is the KTAS model D-08 (like mine) shown below.  Is that your phone?

Photo from here:  http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/
= DARRIN =

GG

Did KTAS actually manufacture their own sets?  Or did they buy them from other manufacturers, or buy certain parts such as dials and then make the rest themselves?   

LarryInMichigan

Try this: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=368&Itemid=11.  The ringers were usually wired with one side going to L1 or L2 and the other to ground.  You probably need to add a jumper from L1 or L2 to the leg of the ringer which would have gone to ground.

Larry

bingster

Quote from: GG on April 05, 2011, 09:21:42 AM
Did KTAS actually manufacture their own sets?  Or did they buy them from other manufacturers, or buy certain parts such as dials and then make the rest themselves?  

Bob's Old Telephones sez:

"In 1904 KTAS brought in Ericsson's Model AC300, another steel-cased magneto desk phone. The KTAS model is notable for its red ringer cutout button. This feature seems only to have been used in Denmark. In 1908 this was supplemented by the little desk phone generally known as the D08. This was made by another local firm, Telefon Fabrik Automatic A/S, and was based on an earlier phone from Zweitusch & Co. in Germany."

So apparently, KTAS didn't actually manufacture the D-08, it was made for them.  I can't find any information about the Zweitusch phone that the D-08 was based on, so I wonder how close a copy of that phone the D-08 is.

I believe the dial is a Siemens dial, though.
= DARRIN =

bingster

thirdgeneration, I went ahead and prepared a diagram for the KTAS D-08, since such diagrams seem to be very few and far between, and since that's most likely what you have.  It's a complicated set, but the wiring is easily traceable against the diagram, if you take it one wire at a time.

There's a silver tube that is shown in the diagram as a long rectangle, split in half.  I don't know what that is, so it's not labeled like everything else is.  You can see where the wiring for that piece goes, anyway. 

My ringer has a small screw terminal between the two coils, and a green wire from each coil is attached to that terminal.  I've seen another ringer that is different from mine (no green wires), so may not match the diagram.  Another way yours may differ is with the meter--some have a meter, some don't.  If yours doesn't, I'm not sure what happens with the peach-colored dial lead.
= DARRIN =

GG

Holy cow, Bingster, you are shockingly good at that. 

What software are you using for those diagrams?

bingster

Thanks, GG.  I do them in Photoshop.
= DARRIN =

GG

Bingster:  I have Photoshop Elements (the "cheap version" of Photoshop) so next time I have that open for some reason I'll see about getting it to do striped lines.  Highly useful for various other purposes such as diagramming station jack wiring specs for cable crews other than mine on client sites (e.g. client site has list of approved contractors, we have to use their cable crew, etc.).  (Our spec is two 2-pair RJ-14 per 4-pair drop, GN and BN pairs on second jack per faceplate.  Easy to say in words, better to convey in pictures.)

DO-8: anyone have a link? 

I have a KTAS phone of the type with the sloped front and cast (aluminum?) hookswitch cradle, and the bakelite handset with "scoop" at transmitter end (not horn-shaped scoop, more like a slightly conical cylindrical section).  Is that the DO-8 or something else? 

Ericsson also made "slipping cam dials" for GPO; it would be interesting to trace down the history of that design: was it originally Siemens or Ericsson or someone else?, what was its country of origin?, and what was its path of historical migration from the country of origin to other countries? 

bingster

Quote from: GG on April 07, 2011, 04:33:13 AM

Bingster:  I have Photoshop Elements (the "cheap version" of Photoshop) so next time I have that open for some reason I'll see about getting it to do striped lines.  

I'm sure there must be an easy way to do the striped lines in Photoshop, but I haven't figured it out yet.  I drew green lines, and manually added small colored squares along the lines to represent the tracers.  Very tedious work.  The rest of it is fairly easy, though--it's almost all done with the pencil tool.

The sloped-front phone you describe is listed by Bob Estreich as a KTAS "Bordapparat D," manufactured by Telefon Fabrik Automatic A/S, which also made the D-08.  

http://www.bobsoldphones.net/Pages/KTAS/KTAS.htm

As ubiquitous as the D-08 is, there's certainly a dearth of information about it online.  You'd think that as common as the phone is, there would be a complete history of the set somewhere.
= DARRIN =

GG

Hi Bingster-  Yes, Bordapparat D (presumably that means "table set D").  Also have an example of the one labeled "M 47" on that page, but black of course. 

So you manually striped those wires, eh?  Holy cow.  That's meticulous.  I'd be looking for a way to do it automatically, otherwise I'd just show wires in black and label them with text, as is far more common.  But doing them correctly the way you've done makes the schematic quite a bit more readable.   

sromes1

hi
 I'm a newbie here, so if I mess up let me know. I have what I think are 3
Kjobenhavns Telefon Aktieselskab Square Rotary Phones from my uncles estate.
One works (receives and makes calls), the other 2 have missing connections and just sit there. I thought it would be easy to just open the one that works and make the same connections but as you can see the one that works has 11 posts (don't know the terminology here) and the other 2 have 8 so already I'm stumped. I can supply more photos just don't know what to take photos of, so any advice is appreciated. What does the counter count? I'm think outgoing calls since on the D08 diagram the bingster provided has a connection to the dial.
thanks steve

rdelius

One appears to be missing the ringer clapper. The sets with less terminals were sets with no dials and converted to dial Try connecting the telephone line to the first and second terminals closest to you.

sromes1

I'll try connecting the line wires as suggested. I took out the ringer clapper  to reset the pointed screw tips in the holes on the top and bottom , just didn't reattach it yet. I noticed a spring on one side of the bar the goes back and forth
(the one that pivots on the above screws (don't know what its called). I was going to try to find a spring to use before reattaching...is the spring really necessary?
Are you saying the phones with 8 terminals were only used to receive calls and one wasn't able to dial out?
thanks steve

rdelius

the ones with less terminals had no dial so the dial was added later.Notice the swt with more terminals has jumpers which increse the number of contacts needed.The dial should work.