News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western-Electric-Stromberg-Carlson-Model-202-1928-Base Only

Started by Doug Rose, September 28, 2020, 10:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I found this on eBay last week and received it this morning. It was advertised as NOS and I think it is. It is grey, but I think it had not been painted yet. I do like the grey!!

It was unassembled, but that was just two screws into the base and aligning the plunger. I am a tech!  :o

This came out about the time that WE A1s did, and are known as the SC A1.

Just amazing to find this NOS.

Any thoughts on this? ..... Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-Stromberg-Carlson-Model-202-1928-Base-only-and-clicker-NOS-/303704045026?
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I did not have the correct SC handset, so I used a Stanley Patterson from the same era which used SC parts. No choice but to use a Western Dial Blank as I had nothing close that would fit.

I am happy with the result....Doug
Kidphone

Jack Ryan

Not very common these. For the record, it is a Stromberg Carlson 1178 Hand Set Telephone.

I don't know exactly when it was released - after 1927 and by 1930 - so it is contemporary with the WE B Handset Mounting (late '27) and the AE 1 ('25).

I assume this must have been before some of the manufacturers had cottoned on to aesthetics. A WE A Handset mounting and a SC 1178 Hand Set Telephone don't appear to be in the same league as the AE 1 (with the proper AE 1 handset). The 1178 does, however, have its own charm.

Regards
Jack

Doug Rose

Thanks Jack...great info. I love the look of these phones....right place right time....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I have an ad from Telephony ,july 7,28 introducing the SC 1177 set. This is the manual set with no place for a dial. I have the dial set with a North dial. SC did not build dials yet. Good luck finding a handset. They are rather thin bakelite and are fragile.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: rdelius on September 28, 2020, 09:38:02 PM
I have an ad from Telephony ,july 7,28 introducing the SC 1177 set. This is the manual set with no place for a dial.

Thanks for that. I couldn't find that copy except on one site "we have this and you can search it but you can't see the results because it is copyright".

I did find another unrelated but interesting thing: Sliced bread is sold for the 1st time, July 7, 1928

https://www.edn.com/sliced-bread-is-sold-for-the-1st-time-july-7-1928/

Jack

oldguy

Gary

poplar1

Bell Canada furnished the Stromberg-Carlson 1178 bases rather than the WE B1  handset mounting for their early cradle set subscribers.

Later, Northern Electric made D1 handset mountings. Apparently, NE never manufactured  A- or B-type mountings.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Robby....these aren't the correct handsets?...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

rdelius

Those are the proper handsets. Some are  marked Stromberg Carlson on the rec cap.

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on September 29, 2020, 10:07:12 AM
Those are the proper handsets. Some are  marked Stromberg Carlson on the rec cap.
thanks Robbie, on the look out for another
Kidphone

FABphones

Correct for the phones they are on, but on that image of two phones are those two handsets the same? The one on the right looks like the image provided by Jack, the one on the left looks shorter (I have the phone on the left). Might just be the angle of course.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 29, 2020, 07:41:45 AM
Robby....these aren't the correct handsets?...Doug

Those receiver caps look different from those I posted. Were there variations?

The right image is the smaller cap that I posted first.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: FABphones on September 29, 2020, 10:38:33 AM
Correct for the phones they are on, but on that image of two phones are those two handsets the same? The one on the right looks like the image provided by Jack, the one on the left looks shorter (I have the phone on the left). Might just be the angle of course.

Perhaps the transmitter caps are different as well. I think I only have one catalogue that includes these telephones and those are like the ones I posted.

Jack