News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is This a Normal 515 Cutout?

Started by George Knighton, January 27, 2013, 09:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

Is this what the hole in a 515 is supposed to look like?

It seems odd to me because the set was very obviously NOS, still in its packaging and everything.  But the hole seems to have been cut by hand, and rather crudely.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Not that I don't love the phone.  :-) 
Annoying new poster.

paul-f

Check the housing date to see if it matches the rest of the phone.

Looking from the inside of the housing, you can see the cylinder around the hole for the key.  Housings were cast solid, and the hole drilled out when needed.  On the production line, we would expect a neater job.  Even if the housing was installed in a distribution house or service center, more care could have been taken.

Perhaps it was done by a non-Bell refurbisher or collector.

If it bothers you, you can always sand and refinish the rough area.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

George Knighton

Quote from: paul-f on January 27, 2013, 02:56:19 PM
Check the housing date to see if it matches the rest of the phone.

Looking from the inside of the housing, you can see the cylinder around the hole for the key.  Housings were cast solid, and the hole drilled out when needed.  On the production line, we would expect a neater job.  Even if the housing was installed in a distribution house or service center, more care could have been taken.

Perhaps it was done by a non-Bell refurbisher or collector.

If it bothers you, you can always sand and refinish the rough area.

It doesn't really bother me.  Just one of those detail things that you like to know about.  :-)

Took the housing off.  It says '85, whereas the base is marked '82.  It's one of those end of the line modular Western Electric.  I know it's not valuable...it was just kind of neat and NOS, so I got it.

One thing I discovered having taken the housing off is that the L1/L2 switch should move a lot more smoothly than it does.  The cut of the hole is so rough that it interferes with the movement.

This is my first and only 515, so I didn't know it was supposed to be smoother.

So even though the appearance doesn't bother me, I'll take some kind of file to it and smooth it out some.

Thanks very much for your help, as always.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Some interesting guts to the thing.  Haven't seen a network like this before, and there is an interesting piece related to the switching of lines that looks like a throwback to 1930.

I'm sure it's not new to everybody else.

Annoying new poster.

paul-f

Since the dates are different, it's likely it was refurbished.  Checking other component dates may help tell the story.

If done in 1985 or later, it certainly wasn't done by the Bell System.

With a 1985 date, is the housing marked AT&T?

When phones were refurbished by WE or an independent refurbisher they were often packaged nicely in boxes.  Are there any markings on the box that might indicate the manufacturer, refurbisher, model number, date, etc.?

You'll find descriptions of the network and hold switch in the BSPs.
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#515

George Knighton

Quote from: paul-f on January 27, 2013, 04:56:18 PM
Since the dates are different, it's likely it was refurbished.  Checking other component dates may help tell the story.

If done in 1985 or later, it certainly wasn't done by the Bell System.

With a 1985 date, is the housing marked AT&T?

When phones were refurbished by WE or an independent refurbisher they were often packaged nicely in boxes.  Are there any markings on the box that might indicate the manufacturer, refurbisher, model number, date, etc.?

You'll find descriptions of the network and hold switch in the BSPs.
  http://www.paul-f.com/we500typ.htm#515

The housing is marked AT&T, and the base is marked Western Electric.  "Bell System Property Not For Sale" on the bottom.

There's an FCC sticker with an REN of 1.0A noted on the same sticker.

The box says Western Electric, and a stamp and a sticker that both say IVORY.

In careful hand lettering:

102     480     431
515     BM - 58
Tel set FCC reg.

There is literature in the box that refers to the set as a "2 Line || 2 Hold" telephone.

It explains how to use the line switch to signal, and how to switch between the lines with the plunger up. 

The literature is labelled SB 2430B and has advertising for a 12-button Trimline and a 12-button Card Dialing phone.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

George, could you post a picture of the bottom of the phone, including any markings or stickers?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

George Knighton

Quote from: poplar1 on January 27, 2013, 05:39:05 PM
George, could you post a picture of the bottom of the phone, including any markings or stickers?

: iPhone :

Annoying new poster.

poplar1

It appears not to have been refurbished. Strange that it would have a 1985 housing.

George Knighton

You've got me wondering now if I mistook an 82 for an 85.  I'll open it up again and look.
Annoying new poster.

paul-f

It would be stranger if the housing marked AT&T was dated before 1984.

Is the documentation also marked AT&T?

George Knighton

Quote from: paul-f on January 27, 2013, 09:54:57 PM
It would be stranger if the housing marked AT&T was dated before 1984.

Is the documentation also marked AT&T?

The literature is just two single sheet pamphlets.

One of them is just a pink slip that explains FCC regulations and who's to repair the set.

The other is a larger piece of paper printed on both sides.  One side has the ad for the card dialer and the Trimline.  The other side explains how to use the "2 Line || 2 Hold" devices. 

It *only* says Western Electric on the pamphlet.  Doesn't say AT&T anywhere on the paper, but it does on the set.

The number inside the housing is indeed 85.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

What about the handset? Is it marked AT&T? What are the dates on the xmtr and rec?

Is it possible that someone changed the color to ivory? Either AT&T or someone else.

I once purchased new in the boxes 3 yellow Princess sets marked CS2702BMG. Each one had a dial lamp in it. An AT&T rep told me that it was not possible that a CS set had a lamp, but she was wrong. The set had been recoded CS even though they were new sets.

George Knighton

Quote from: poplar1 on January 28, 2013, 08:16:55 AM
What about the handset? Is it marked AT&T? What are the dates on the xmtr and rec?

Yes, the handset is marked AT&T.

XMTR = 2.1.57 

REC = 1.18.72

Certainly an odd combination of dates.

QuoteIs it possible that someone changed the color to ivory? Either AT&T or someone else.

Ha ha ha ha ha.....  I don't know!  I am just the annoying new guy!

Annoying new poster.