News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Somebody here collects model trains.

Started by Greg G., July 25, 2010, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

But I can't remember who.  I got this today for $8.61.  I don't collect these, but the price was right so I took a chance.  I tried researching scales and collectability, but the references made my head swim.  Engine, coal car, box car, not sure what the grey one is called, and a caboose.  12 curved tracks and 7 straight ones.  A "curve sign" and a rr stop signal.  A device called a "remote uncoupler" and a couple other unidentified parts.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bwanna

briny....the gray car is a hopper car & the coal car is called a tender. i don't have my price book handy...but i say you made a pretty good buy!
donna

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on July 25, 2010, 09:56:24 PM
briny....the gray car is a hopper car & the coal car is called a tender. i don't have my price book handy...but i say you made a pretty good buy!

This was from the same yard sale I got the phone from.  Today was 1/2 price day, (even though technically I'm typing this on Monday, it's not the next day until I've been to bed and gotten up again) and the cars and tracks were marked down to $7.50 from $15, the RR stop sign was $2.50 (down from $5), but I only had $8.61 left after buying the phone, so I talked him into marking it down a little further.

The Hopper and Caboose have some wheels missing.  There is an electrical wire coming from the tender to the front axle.  Is that for a whistle or something?  I also noticed that the caboose, box car and hopper are numbered sequentially.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

That's American Flyer S gauge. I'd have to check a guide book, but I'd guess mid 1950s on the set.

You definitely did well on the price. The engine is not a high dollar one, but in good running condition is probably worth $75-125.

If I understand you right, there's a wire from the tender to the engine. On American Flyer trains, the power pick-up is in the tender, as is the reversing unit(e-unit) usually. A 4-wire connector and plug links the engine to the tender. On later engines, there's also a 5th wire that keeps the headlight on while the engine is in neutral.

If everything is in good shape, fire them up and give them a try. American Flyer really is fun stuff to run. The steam engines have really good smoke units, and make a "chugging" sound as they run.

Greg G.

Quote from: benhutcherson on July 26, 2010, 08:25:27 AM
That's American Flyer S gauge. I'd have to check a guide book, but I'd guess mid 1950s on the set.

If everything is in good shape, fire them up and give them a try. American Flyer really is fun stuff to run. The steam engines have really good smoke units, and make a "chugging" sound as they run.

I was right on the era then, because it was the tracks that caught my eye.  I recognized them from a set my older brother had when we were kids.  

These are fixer-uppers, and will need more attention than I can or want to give them.  I don't have a transformer to test them.  My intent was to "rescue" them and get them to a good home, I'm not interested in starting another collection buga-boo.  I don't want to hassle with ebay because I'm not going to make enough on them to make it worth the while, especially after ebay and Paypal take their cut.  Plus I want to give my phone "family" first crack.    

Any collectors here interested?  $10 plus shipping.  I just did a trial pack in a large flat rate, it'll all fit, so that's $14.70 for shipping.  First email, pm, or thread response gets them (I'll use the time stamps if it's close).  
- Mike Row
e

benhutcherson

Sure, I'll take them.

Please e-mail me with details.

Thanks again,
Ben

Greg G.

Quote from: benhutcherson on July 26, 2010, 04:52:55 PM
Sure, I'll take them.

Please e-mail me with details.

Thanks again,
Ben

You got 'em.
- Mike Row
e