"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Nice light beige, someone got a bargain

Started by Dan, March 17, 2010, 06:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

http://tinyurl.com/ykquegw

Looks like an original 1955. The ringer was changed in 1967. Looks like the handset cord is a thick original. Can any keen eye tell if the housing is original? I don't know how to check for "ribbing or reinforcements."
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on March 17, 2010, 06:22:15 PM
http://tinyurl.com/ykquegw

Looks like an original 1955. The ringer was changed in 1967. Looks like the handset cord is a thick original. Can any keen eye tell if the housing is original? I don't know how to check for "ribbing or reinforcements."
You have to open it up in person, the older sets are noticbly thick, same on early 1500's.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

Thanks, I was hoping you colud look somehow @ a picture of the feet and see if the housing was true or not.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on March 17, 2010, 10:46:05 PM
Thanks, I was hoping you colud look somehow @ a picture of the feet and see if the housing was true or not.

Some folks can probably tell by looking at the base and the inside edge  of the phone. I havent ever tried.
I suspect there should be some difference that can be seen without opening up the phone.
Technically I am "busy in the basement" and not playing with phones right now.

Perhaps someone can post some side-by-side photos of bases and point out the differences.
Jim
You live, You learn,

Dan

I can see a date sometimes on the inside edge. I saw the yellow on my recent ivory purchase.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on March 17, 2010, 10:59:26 PM
I can see a date sometimes on the inside edge. I saw the yellow on my recent ivory purchase.

I have never really compared ribbings closely, I have noticed that they varied over the years.

I see your original question was if the housing is original.
For that the best way is to compare all the dates that you can find. They should be close.

The coolest find is if they all match to the day. A lot of the original untouched phones will match within a month.

On your phone I would compare the housing date to the network date, if they match or are close then it is probably the original housing to that base.

Jim
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Dan, how do you know the ringer was changed in '67?  I think that R before the date indicates "repair".  That makes me believe on it's face, most times that the plastic was changed.  But since the handset cord has those little marks on it and it's nice and thick it appears to be similar to what might be original to 1955.  Often the coils on the older cords are the larger ones, however.  The edge of the housing is thick.  The later hard plastic cases are thinner.  But that's difficult to tell from photos.  I can't personally tell anything by the ribs.  Often as you mentioned Dan, you can see the date along the front edge of the housing, when viewed from the bottom.  But not in this case.  Also when housings are changed often an updated dial and bezel are added.  This does not seem to be the case here.  

So my conclusion is I can't tell. :)  Something changed in 1967.  It may have only been the handset cord.  I think the modular mounting cord was put on much later than 1967 so that doesn't count.  It is a very nice phone for $9.99 plus shipping.  The plastic does not appear to be discolored, the feet are leather covered, the dial is a #7 dial with a nice open center finger wheel.  It just MIGHT be soft plastic.  If we could only see the handset cap holes.  But even then, some from late '59 with 6 holes are hard plastic.

Did anyone here get that?

Dan

I am glad you told me "r" means repair, not the ringer. My 1957 ivory I just got has S-6-58 under the CD 500 6-57. I opened it up and the wall cord  crimp was 6-58. The rest is all solid 1957. I am trying to figure out what the additional markings on the backs are and what they mean.  "S" must mean wall cord in this instance.

This phone was on my watch list, but I have a nice soft light beige. I hope someone here got it, because I too would like to know the repair and if it had six ear cap holes or seven. Knowledge is king, huh!

Dennis Markham

Dan, my thinking that "r" means repair may just be "lore" that someone told me along the way.  I don't know that to be fact so it just MIGHT mean that the ringer was replaced.  I was also told that "S" means service.  So I don't know if there was inconsistent policy on the markings or if indeed certain letters designated a specific operation that was performed on the phone.

Jim Stettler

I have been told that in the early days of plastic, any disconnected phone went in for service, even if it was a month old. At that time they inspected it per Bell labs procedure, cleaned it up and made recommended "improvements".

I was told this by a bell guy/collector at a show. I think I may of read something similar on one of the listservers.

I don't consider this fact, It is something to keep in mind.
I have always assumed R was rebuilt/refurbished, I never heard what S was for.
Service seems like a possible answer.

Service could be just cleaning and polishing.
R could be repair/replacement.

Cord replacement was typically done in the field, However if it was in for service, They may of stamped the base R for replaced part. This would of been done for Bell Labs research.

In the case of field trial sets, they always came with a tag advising the repairman to send the repair info to bell labs.

Jim

The precentage of sets I have seen with R or S is pretty small. It may of only been done on sample batches or selected centers. Just some musings.
You live, You learn,

Dan

Drew

Well I'm the one who bought this '55. Kind of surprised no one else even bid on it ?  :)

There are good buys on Ebay - a few years ago I bought a nice 500 from 1952 for $12.50.

When the beige '55 arrives, I'll check the dates and see how original it is.

Drew

Dan

Nice job Drew. I hope the cap has six holes for you