News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What type of radios do you own

Started by winkydink, January 08, 2009, 07:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

winkydink

I see that a lot of people in the forum also have an interest in old radios.  I was just curious how big is you collection and what are your favorite few radios you own (with pictures of course).

My collection if you can call it that numbers at two (2).  I have a Zenith 6R087 from 1946.  This is a console with a built in record player and automatic record changer.  This was my Grandparents who purchased it new right after radio manufacturing restarted after WWII.

My second set is a Philco desktop from 1942 (as shown below, with it's companion a WE 202).  It is model number 42-PT-94.  This was one that I purchased off of eBay just because I liked the style.

I had both radios electronically refurbushed (cap replacement, re-tuning, etc.) by a still functioning radio/TV/Pinball repair shop located about 30 miles from where I live.

I have a keen interest in old radios, but not the electronic aptitude.  I respect the high voltage found within and was looking for a less dangerous hobby, which is how I stumbled upon old telephones.

I also love the old time (pre 1955) TV sets such as the old Pilots, Hallicrafters, etc.  Though I don't own any of these (donations accepted)  :D.  If you have any of these in your collection, post a picture as well.

Lastly I have been looking around for a faceplate for the Zenith 6R087 as my original one is cracked.  I have a plastic replacement, but is does not have the Zenith name on it.  I have looked around on eBay and once in a blue moon I will see one of these sets, usually however the faceplate is cracked or the buyer won't part it out (even though they rarely sell).  If on the odd chance you know of someone that has this faceplate for sale, let me know.

McHeath

Nice radios, very nice.  The Philco has such a classic old time look to it, and the record player on the other one has real pizazz.  Does the record player work?

winkydink

Quote from: McHeath on January 08, 2009, 10:00:55 AM
Nice radios, very nice.  The Philco has such a classic old time look to it, and the record player on the other one has real pizazz.  Does the record player work?

The record player does indeed work.  It plays 78 RPMs.  Nice sound too.  I have a small collection of 78's, mostly Christmas music. 

HobieSport

Hi Winkydink,

My only radios are two 1951-52 T/O H500s.  Since I know next to nothing about radios, and with all the choices, I just took BDMs' and others' kind advice here and looked around on Ebay until I found something that I liked, and the T/Os grabbed me.  Of course I love all the wood cabinet models, especially Zeniths' and Philcos, but I just liked the honest looks and functionality of the basic black T/Os.

The first one I bought is un-refurbished which was probably unwise of me, as I also lack the electronic aptitude. Then I was just more patient and found a completely re-furbished T/O on Ebay for a buy-it-now price of $150 including shipping, and it ending up much less expensive than the un-refurbished beastie, which I may or may not get around to fixing up.

I'm still new to the telephones and think I'll just stick with them.  But it's nice to have the radios from the same era's.  They look good together, don't they?

bingster

I have a few that I use on a regular basis, but mainly this Zenith Chairside radio/phono:
http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?p=23355#23355

Another one that works great, and gets regular use:
http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?t=198

A couple Zenith record players, and a couple Trans-Oceanics:
http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?p=17812#17812

A few random radios:
http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?p=18117#18117

I also have an Atwater Kent 70, AK40, AK20, a Bosch from the 1920s, a GE radio/phono from 1947, a Philco radio/phono from 1959, a Motorola 10" TV from 1950, and a slew of table and portable radios from the early 1930s to the 1950s.
= DARRIN =

winkydink

Quote from: bingster on January 08, 2009, 02:10:08 PM
I have a few that I use on a regular basis, but mainly this Zenith Chairside radio/phono:
http://otrplus.com/viewtopic.php?p=23355#23355

Wow !  That Zenith Chairside is pretty impresive !

mienaichizu

BDM

Bing, that RCA Rider Chanalyst is darn impressive. Me likey, me wantey ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Firefyter-Emt

Just a thought on that face plate.  Getting a replacement glass cut is simple, but have you ever thought about looking into laser engraving to have the original logo matched? It might not be that hard to have it matched up.

And to go along with the radio post, I do not have a vintage radio yet, but have been keeping my eye out for a nice looking desk sized radio.  I would love to be able to even find one that is too dead to live just so I can re-work the insides with a modern amp to connect into my computer and act as my computer desk speaker.

Lee, ducking tomatoes tosses in my direction.   :D

Bill

Here are photos of about half of mine. Too many - I'm starting to thin the herd.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/contributor.htm?code=81

Bill

Dennis Markham

Bill, those radios are fantastic!  What a great collection.  I do not own an "old" radio but would love to get one.  How many times have you heard that?  One of these days, I'll take a break from phones and get one that is close to or ready to work.

AET

Here is the two vintage radios I own at this point.

The first one is an old RCA Victor Solid State, from the 70's.  Great old radio, that crackled when I bought it from St. Vinnies, the same as it does now, so he said I could have it for $5.00, I was about 10 years old and thrilled.  5 years later, when I Was cleaning it, I found a bulb was burned out behind the dial, and I just put a new one in (takes a simple automotive bulb which I have hundreds of) and it was like having a whole new radio.  Off-topic, but I'm good at being off-topic, a great old tune was playing on ol AM1350 when I turned it on today for the pic, In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry from 1970 if memory serves me.

The next readio is a Silvertone, which by y'all was determined to be from 1953.  I bought it at a yard sale, just happened to drive past it, talked the guy down from $50 to my magic number of $5.00 for it.  It had belonged to his wifes parents.  I love this thing, but it don't work, has blown tubes, and the capacitors are shot, I am also debating whether to refinish it or not.

- Tom

bingster

Please tell me the FCC didn't stick you with a call sign like "weiwdxnw3nywyxrc98"! :o
= DARRIN =

BDM

Quote from: bingster on March 02, 2009, 12:23:22 AM
Please tell me the FCC didn't stick you with a call sign like "weiwdxnw3nywyxrc98"! :o

Nah, W8GTX.......When I registered originally, I was trying to look at certain vids that required you to register. So, I kept entering names, and it kept telling me it was already used. I got pissed, and went nutso on the key board. The result was weiwdxnw3nywyxrc98...........lol
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI