and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Info on "Collectible Phone"

Started by tallguy58, August 31, 2014, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Any idea as to what this is?

Only description......Collectible Phone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Collectible-Phone-/271593276944?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3c388610

Decanter???
Cheers........Bill

Dennis Markham

Looks like a bottle of Jim Beam----decanter.  I've seen them in antique stores before.

tallguy58

Quite elaborate for a lousy bottle of booze.
Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Based on the tiles in the background, this bottle has to be about 8 to 10 inches tall with a very short rope handset cord. I wonder if one has to remove the handset before tipping to pour or is the handset "glued" in place? Yes, I've seen these before on eBay. Deceptive in that the description should be "Collectible Beam Decanter" and in my humble opinion, it's not worth the money asked. But, then again, it is "Free Shipping" so I might be wrong.

There's another one on eBay which has a good photo of the upper back stating what the decanter was all about. Both priced about the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JIM-BEAM-PAY-PHONE-DECANTER-EMPTY-PRE-OWNED-/201157424994

Photo below.  EDIT: Above item did not sell at $125 plus $13 shipping, but it is re-listed

Sargeguy

Whether or not it was empty is also a consideration!

Here are a few more examples:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

Sold for $152.50 with free shipping.

AdamAnt316

Rather perplexing, really. Both how much effort it must've taken them to replicate the look of a payphone in (relative) miniature, and that someone would pay more for a replica payphone decanter as I did for an example of the real phone. Also perplexing that they used a replica of the E-1 spitcup handset for it, when I have yet to see an example of either a Gray or WE payphone which used one.
-Adam

stub

Here's another example- -  Strowger Desk Set   $17.50       stub
Kenneth Stubblefield