News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Broken Beehive

Started by Greg G., June 20, 2011, 05:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

What do you all think of this one?  It's a whopping $10, but it has a chunk missing above the crank (Pic #2).  I know bakelite can't be melted and reformed, but was wondering if there was some other suitable repair that can be done with it.  I talked to the seller, he doesn't have the missing chunk.  It's a bit of a drive for me, but that's never stopped me in the past for something worth while (and cheap!).  I like the "unique" look of these phones.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

cihensley@aol.com

Make a form from plastic blister packaging material or a plastic milk bottle. Attach the form to the inside of the shell with good tape. Build up layers of JB Weld (you may have to let it dry between layers) until flush with outer layer. Use a riffler file and sandpaper until patch is blended in with shell. Spray (preferably with an airbrush) with gloss back Rustoleum. Use fine micto-mesh sandpaper to blend painted patch with shell. Other epoxies may also work., But I only have experience with JB Weld and Bakelite.

Chuck

LarryInMichigan

I wouldn't make the drive for it since the bakelite is so obviously broken.  If you want a Leich beehive in nearly mint condition, and you like really long drives, There was one in the antiques mall in Michigan City, IN for $60 that I saw last week.  In a few days, they are having a sale, so it will be something like 30% off.

Larry

Greg G.

It's actually a lot farther than I thought, I was thinking of a different city than where the seller is.  If the missing piece was the only thing wrong with the case other than normal wear and tear, I would snatch it up if it was closer.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e