News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kids and the Hobby of Telephone Collecting

Started by savageje, June 07, 2010, 02:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Speaking of "Old Stuff" ..... is there an "old" collector out there who would like an RCA VFT650 Top loading VCR from 1981?

I can't bring myself to send it to electronic recycling since it is almost 30 years old. I asked on the TCI list awhile back but no one actually wanted me to send it to them.

It works but I haven't been able to locate the remote for it although I suspect it is around here somewhere. There is a flip open door on the front that broke off and hasn't been seen for awhile as well.

Terry

mmd

I'd love to have it, but without the door, that's a deal breaker for me.  I like having a complete product.

Besides, shipping on that suckers gonna be high, cause it will be heavy, of which I can't spend any money since I'm saving up for a movie camera right now.
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

AET

I have a new LG Bliss Cell phone and a Satellite Dish and a laptop.

My Console TV's are the next newest technology.  Need I say more?
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Brandon;
What type camera are you looking for. I have a Super 8MM Sound Bell & Howell,  I'd be interested in making a deal, it's in Box as new.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Quote from: mmd on June 09, 2010, 11:43:58 PM
I'd love to have it, but without the door, that's a deal breaker for me.

Yeah I know, the little missing door/cover is too bad. The missing remote maybe isn't as bad.

Someone had the identical unit on ebay asking $49 and it doesn't work! I can't help thinking someone would like to get my working VFT650 and the complete non working VFT650 on ebay to make one good one.

And yeah, it weighs a few pounds all right.....about the same as a UNIVAC computer.

Anyway, I'll keep it around a bit longer so if somone stumbles onto this thread who just has to have it.......

Terry

Jim Stettler

I used to have a pioneer laser disc player (1994 vintage) with the optional sega pack. it was like new with all the packaging/ books ect. I watched less than 100 movies on it and our disc rental place closed down. I kept it until about 2006 then I finally donated it when I was cleaning up.

Originally it was special priced at $1,500 with the $350.00 sega pack as a free bonus.(+ 3 games and the special edition Fantasia) The company I worked for used to sell them as special order. Our competitor got stuck with 3 of them @ model change and offered them to my boss. He offered them to them to the employees at cost if we wanted them (he bought none for inventory).
My cost was $350.00 in 1994.  They had a very impressive picture.

I may still have Fantasia and the Whoppie Goldberg movie "Telephone".
If I find the discs I will let you know.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

mmd

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 10, 2010, 01:33:10 AM
Brandon;
What type camera are you looking for. I have a Super 8MM Sound Bell & Howell,  I'd be interested in making a deal, it's in Box as new.
D/P
Actually I'm going for a newer camera, so I can edit in Final Cut Pro.

It's a Panasonic AG-HMC40...  I don't have the means of editing in film, or a system to even capture it to a medium to display online (since this movie is going to be a free internet movie).
Brandon
Western Electric 302, 500

McHeath

Quote"Okay people, rotary phones are just dumb old poopty things of the past. If you seriously love rotary phones -a) you have no life b) you will never get laid.. Now just think about it, THEY ARE F**KIN' phones! There are so much more interesting things in the world, than phones. Okay, so why are kids like me not interested in collecting them (like old perverts such as yourselves)? Well, they are a waste of money, and the only thing you can do with them is talk to some other idiot. But most of the time, the only thing that you will do with these pieces of **** is put them on some shelves and glance at them every once in a blue moon. There is so much more you can do with this money. How 'bout you actually put your greedy money towards helping starving african children, or the BP Crisis. But no, your money is best suited for buying old crap from the past. Why don't you people grow up and get with the 21st century, or take your just take your phone cord, build a nuce, and hang yourself . Thank you." -Eric

Ah the joy of the Internet, freeing people from ordinary things like civility and kindness. 

But that's another topic...

As our plastic bag collector story shows everything that can be collected is.  Humans like to gather about them things that they find enjoyable, meaningful and just plain cool.  Eric will probably figure this out as he ages, and hopefully lighten up, I'm sure we could find a collection of something at his place, be it video games, music, ball caps or who knows what.

I'm not sure that the classic era phones we collect will still find many takers in 50 more years.  Most of us here have direct memories of using these phones as the only game in town, you wanted to call _________ and you had the use the 500 in the hall, or the 354 in the kitchen.  Once those of us with a living connection to the phones are gone the only ones left will be people who understand and like the style and quality of them. 

It's been talked about here of the fall off in interest for wooden wall phones of the late 19th and early 20th century.  Speculation is that the loss of people with direct connections to that era drives the lowering interest. 

My own son has a certain interest in the phones, he will look for them at yard sales for me if he's passing by, and he will occasionally watch me putter on one.  But he's not interested in collecting them himself, though he certainly will one day have a large and instant old phone collection when I kick off! :D  That's going to be a heckuva yard sale friends, better get there early! ;)

bellsystemproperty

Eric used to be interested in phones, but lost interest. He even came to the San Jose phone show. A lot of my other friends are just neutral about the phones. They're just something that's there.
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

dsk

AE_Collector

This thread looks like a very good match dsk. Good searching!

Terry