News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Extension wiring d'ohs!!!

Started by twocvbloke, October 08, 2013, 06:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

I dunno, I thought I did a great job, but nope, seems I managed to muck something up with the extension I put in my ADSL extension, cos I seem to have lost 2Mbps between master socket and the extension... :-\

Did everything I'm supposed to, used twisted pair cable (reduces signal loss, apparently), fitted an iPlate (sits between the master socket and the face plate to act as a filter and connect the ADSL extension to), tacked it along the wall avoiding mains wiring as best as possible (some places unavoidable), and terminating in a Data (aka RJ45, could have been an RJ11 if I had one though) socket, but somewhere along the line I've mucked up and am losing signal... :(

There are days that it makes more sense to say screw it and just go for a 3G router, cos at least with that I can get a good 10mbps with no wires!! ::)

I'll have to have a fiddle 'til I can figure this out... :D

Owain

If you've followed the colour code on a TIA/EIA-568 socket then that won't correspond to the twisted pairs on a RJ45 (USOC) or BT line where the pairs start at the centre and then work outwards. So you may have your phone line pair split over two cable pairs which will be bad.

Also, if you've used Ethernet cable that has a different twist to BT phone wire, and that can cause a mismatch.

In general, don't extend ADSL, get the modem as close to the incoming line as possible, and a whole-house filter on the remaining wiring (ignore the Iplate that only filters the bell wire). Use Ethernet from the modem to the router.

twocvbloke

The way I wired it was I used a 3-Pair Twisted-pair telephone cable, I used the green pair to connect to the extension terminals in the Iplate (which does have filtering in it, rather than just cutting out the bell wire), then at the RJ45, socket, I ignored the colour coding and connected the green pair to the Blue pair's terminals, and stuck an RJ11 plug in there so the two centre contacts of the socket connected to the modem cable as per normal...

I need to go over where I've installed it to make sure I've not placed it somewhere I shouldn't have (power cables mainly), cos using the right cable you can extend ADSL, I just seem to have mucked it up somewhere... ???

I followed the advice of this blog which basically does what I did, but they used Cat5e cable rather than the twisted pair phone cable I bought, and I used the Interstitial plate (Iplate) rather than the NTE2000 faceplate they used:

http://www.kebabshopblues.co.uk/2010/02/07/achieving-faster-adsl-speeds/

twocvbloke

Well, I've managed to get some speed back, went from about 1.5Mb to 1.9Mb, just by re-doing termination points and swapping the RJ11 cable from socket to modem for a plain old telephone cable, but I think I need to re-route it, cos I noticed that what I thought was a dead mains cable is actually the 2-way switch cable for the landing light, strange place to mount it, along the top of the skirting board on the stairs... ::)

Oh well, I'll just yank the defunct alarm wiring and route the extension a different way, cos there is the cable that goes to the front door sensor that pops up on the landing, that's a shorter route, and I can use the alarm wire as a fishing wire to pull the extension wiring through, when I get round to it that is... :D

AE_Collector

Just don't decide tha tyou want the alarm system bak in order after you remove it's wiring!

Terry

poplar1

Just pull some twine along with the new wire so maybe you can use the twine to pull in any future wire--this may or may not work.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 09, 2013, 11:01:39 AM
and I can use the alarm wire as a fishing wire to pull the extension wiring through, when I get round to it that is... :D
This should help you out. Here is a Round Tuit for you! So you can go right ahead and do it! :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_Collector on October 09, 2013, 12:50:44 PM
Just don't decide tha tyou want the alarm system bak in order after you remove it's wiring!

Nah, the alarm system is dead as a dodo, the 2x PIR sensors are painted over, the wiring already cut in places and the fact that I didn't have the codes or even instructions to operate it, but I have plans to restore the bellbox outside to at least flash some "I'm alive and working" LEDs and maybe fire the strobelight occasionally so it looks like it's working... :D

Anyway, up to almost 2Mbps now with the current wiring, I'm doing something right!!! :D

Quote from: poplar1 on October 09, 2013, 01:44:05 PM
Just pull some twine along with the new wire so maybe you can use the twine to pull in any future wire--this may or may not work.

I shouldn't need to pull any more wire through, 3-pair cable should be more than enough to put in alternate wiring (could be 3x phone extensions for example, especially if the phoneline is ditched and we go for 3G and a VOIP service number), plus the hole's not big enough for more than one 6-core cable... :D

Quote from: DavePEI on October 09, 2013, 01:46:01 PM
This should help you out. Here is a Round Tuit for you! So you can go right ahead and do it! :)

Dave

Yes, I do need to get one of those!! :D