News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

OT More old Junk I picked up on eBay

Started by Sargeguy, March 13, 2011, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

People don't know the correct use of apostrophes.  I see a lot of people use it on dates such as "back in the 1950's" when it should be "1950s".
Jim H.

bingster

That particular one (1950's) drives me nuts.
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Quote from: rdelius on March 14, 2011, 01:04:45 PM
The wooden box is a type 21 I believe for a 2 or 3 box wall set
Robby
look at Walt's fabulous No. 3 Gray walnut magneto Silver Dollar Pay Station on eBay, this looks like the top box.....Doug

http://cgi.ebay.com/320663492736

Kidphone

Sargeguy

I noticed that.  I am goiing for a little less ambitious project, probably a two boxer.  Right now I need to keep an eye out for the hook, switch and magneto.  I think I have a coil that will work.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The 533 arrived today.  It is complete except for the mouthpiece.  It was painted over at ome point, and am in the process of stripping the top layer to see how it looks underneath.  There is a heavy layer of crud/paint on this one.  It has a 144 receiver in great shape (I think) under all the crud.  A 32? transmitter (the number has been obliterated) on a 7A mount.  The clapper was bent, as is one of the bell stands, an easy fix.  I may just have to fix this one up instead of cannibalizing the transmitter and receiver and making the rest into a subset.  The only date I have found is III 38.  There is no model designation, and the only markings are I.M.F. stamped in green.  Can someone remind me what that stands for?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Where is the green IMF stamp?  If it is on the capacitor, it could stand for 1 MicroFarad.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

It's on the inside of the door, its actually orange, not green (inhaled too much stripper fumes).  "Property of TELCO" is stamped in green on the receiver.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Phonesrfun

Oh well, it was a thought anyway.  I have no clue then   :-[
-Bill G

Sargeguy

Here are some pics of the hotel phone:

The finish was a disaster after I cleaned it up.  Two coats of paint, lots of surface rust, and plenty of crud.  I stripped it using citristip and then Kleen-Strip Aircraft, then sanded it.  I painted it with Ace Hardware brand enamel, followed by a baking at 220 for 1hour, followed by a coat of Ace Hardware Lacquer (oops, those cans sure do look alike) follwed by a baking at 275, followed by a third coat of enamel and a final baking for three hours at 325.  The reult is a hard, scratch restant surface.  There is some orange peeling, and it is a little bit shinier than I would have liked, but I am pleased at my first effort at phone painting.  A hotel phone is a good subject, since these were often re-painted with a variety of different finishes over the years, so there is more room for variation than with a 302 or candlestick.  All and all not bad for a $29.00 parts phone.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

bingster

A humble $29 wall phone, some paint, and it's turned into a little gem.  Very nicely done!
= DARRIN =

Sargeguy

Another treasure:

Looks like an interesting "re-purposing"  of an old magneto box.  I especially like the extra set of hinges that served as conductors.  It was $60 BIN and, the receiver, transmitter, ringer etc are easily worth that much.  I am hoping to combine some of the parts with the box I bought a few weeks back if I don't keep it as is.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

GG

Central battery box-type wall phones.  If there was a power failure of the AC mains power, those would keep on working forever, as they did not depend on local batteries. 

Useful reminder to people who depend on VOIP-based landlines such as from Comcast, and on cordless devices including cellphones: local batteries wear out and then you can't call for help in an emergency. 

Only real central battery telephones are truly reliable in emergencies. 

Sargeguy

WI'n not an expert in wooden wall phones by any means, but it looks to me like a local battery to common battery conversion.  The phone began life as a magneto box, probably from a two boxer, and was recycled/repurposed as a wall phone, apparently in a hotel.  It does not have the stamped dates but does use the older style switch hook, although not the oldest.  No outside terminals but it has the uninsulated wiring channels in the rear. The door swings open to the right, hitting the crank, an early design flaw that was later corrected.  My guess would be early 1900s converted in the 1910s.  The flat metal straps were a later addition and not original, I believe.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The phone arrived today.  The good news is that it is a complete phone.  It is stamped 293A, with the original stamp obliterated.

The box is walnut.  It has no patent date stamps.  Instead, it has the dates, and the Bell Telephone disclaimer embossed in raised letters.  These are barely visible.

It has a 144 receiver and 329 transmitter, both in nice shape. The receiver has an original WECO cord.

Here is a picture of the coil and condenser, and hook switch with ringer magnet wedged in):

It looks as if some kid monkeyed with the ringer and receiver, as there are screws missing and some of the wiring is detached/missing.  It's about (8% complete.  The bad news is I still need a parts phone for the other project.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

The dovetailing is a little bit loose at the corners towards the front of the phone, so I disassembled it (not easy with the wires soldered to terminals, hinges and straps).  It looks as if someone tried to re-glue the joints at some point as Elmer's is dripped inside the phone.  My guess is that they did not use a clamp but just screwed it back onto the base.  It's not that bad but I think I need to strip it and re-glue the joints properly.  I am a little hesitant to do so because the original finish is pretty good, but I need to get the old glue out of there.  It also gives me the chance to bring the old embossing out a little more.     
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409