News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS 202 E1

Started by Dan/Panther, April 08, 2009, 12:30:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

What would it be worth. One is up for auction on ebay right now.
D/P
http://tinyurl.com/cvvg69

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

I'd say it's definitely worth 300.  It's just amazing. 
= DARRIN =

mienaichizu

Dan

That's a yard sale fantasy of mine, right up there with an Oxford grey, blue , or brown mushroom phone! $459 my bet
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Tonyrotary

If I was not married I would bid on it in a heartbeat! I am guessing $350 to $400.

BDM

I asked for a pic of the transmitter to determine if it's indeed a button/bullet transmitter, or F1 type. I also asked about the dial in relation to an 4H or 5H.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

If it does have a bullet transmitter I'd sure like to hear the transmission quality from it.  Either I missed something or the guy doesn't say how and where the phone has been stored for the past 75 years or so.  Hard to tell from the photos but the dial face plate appears to be the early celluloid type judging from the shaping and boldness of the lettering on it.  Would that make it any more certain that a 4H mechanism is behind it?  Seems to me that $300 is a fair price if this is indeed NOS.

Ralph
Ralph

Perry

I wonder if it really is NOS. It looks nice, but the pictures aren't very good. I have seen lots of stuff on eBay that looks like it was refurbished and boxed, but is listed as NOS because it is in the original box.

Dan/Panther

When I first saw the listing, I was so amazed at the prospect of a NOS 202, that I for some reason thought that it was $299.99 BIN, I went through my budget trying to figure out where to come up with an extra $300.00, ( I know, I could sell one of my kids ), then it finally soaked in, that was the opening bid. Now I don't feel so anxious, because It won't sell for $299.99. I'll guess someone will bid it up to close to $500.00 maybe  higher.

If it were refurbished later on in life, wouldn't it have an F1 handset ?
Is the spider washer a different kind, or is that a hint of a missing spider washrer, and an aluminum fingerwheel ?
D/P
P.S. I apologize for breaking my own no auctions posting rule. I just couldn't believe this.

BDM

The seller contacted me. It has the early style "bullet" transmitter (barrier button) and a 4H dial.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

A year or so ago a white soft plastic Western Electric model 500 from 1957 or 1958 sold for $350 plus change.  It was new in the box.  Using that as an example we can only guess what this much older telephone will sell for.  I would imagine that seller is getting asked a lot of questions.  My guess is that once they figure out there is serious interest we may see some more photos with greater detail.  Much like what happened with the clear 302 that sold for $2,800.  That is much more "rare" than this phone so I doubt we will see bids of that proportion but if I had to guess I would not be surprised to see $800-$1000.  But I'm always wrong.   I mean, how many reading this would spend $299 for it?  Probably a few.  The big guns will come out for this once the authenticity question has been satisfied.  One thing I've noticed with eBay sellers with a high number of sales like this seller is they don't often like to post more pictures.  It seems they're too  busy.  It may be worth this seller's while to do so.  I'd want to see internal dates, cord dates, etc., I want to see the bottom...I wonder if the dial card retainer pieces are there, etc...........That's my 2c worth.

Thanks Dan for posting this.  I was going to bid on it now everyone knows about it! :)  (Not really)

Edit:  In re-reading the listing it reads in part........"its in brand new never used condition......."  It doesn't say it's brand new, never used.

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
My question is, say it was a refurbished 202, wouldn't they have put an F1 handset on it ?
D/P

I'm a blabbermouth....... ;D

Dennis Markham

Dan, I guess I don't know the definitive answer to that question.  But I think the old saying about "anything goes" may apply.  I mean, to me it looks original but who knows if it is NEW in the box.  I guess there is some difference between being refurbished at a Bell System factory or repaired in the field.  But generally speaking you're probably right....if it were refurbished then it may have been updated unless at the time of refurbishment they were still putting E1's on them.

benhutcherson

I have a 5L dial that's original and totally untouched and unmolested from IV-40. The number plate is mint and matches the date on the back of the dial, so I'm sure it's never been through any kind of work.

This particular dial has an aluminum fingerwheel and no spider washer. Like I said, it's all original and untouched(and really clean).