News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Item doesn't sell-Raise the Price!!!

Started by Sargeguy, October 25, 2014, 09:11:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

This is a phenomenon I have never understood on eBay.  Perhaps even more annoying than the "zombie auction" in which an unsellable item keeps getting re-listed ad nauseum for months and sometimes years.   I'm talking about when an item does not sell so the seller raises the price.  Here is a recent example:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

I am restoring a couple of these smaller transmitter sticks almost bought this at the original price but the seller couldn't provide better pics.  Now I wouldn't buy it just on principle.

Once there was this auction I was watching for a subset that did not sell at $50 and so I asked the seller if he had a BIN price for the item.  His response was $75.00.  I pointed out that it did have any bids at $50, and he responded that "it had a lot of watchers".
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I've seen sellers do that also.  I have also seen those items sell at the higher price in week 2, than it could have been purchased for in week 1.  There have been several times that I have listed something for sale in week 1, did not sell, relist in week 2 for the same price and have it sell for well over the price it was listed for in week 1.  I think it's a matter of timing - the person who bought in week 2 wasn't watching for this item in week 1. 
Dave

Dennis Markham

Some number of years ago I was doing some selling on eBay.  It was early on in my phone collecting "career".  I bought so many that I started re-selling them.  I'd clean them up, list them and make a few bucks.  I almost always used the Buy It Now.  If a phone listing ended with no sale I would raise the price five or six dollars and it would often sell right away.   Had I listed it the first time at the higher price it probably wouldn't have sold.  I agree with wds, it's just a matter of timing.....who is shopping when.

I have also been the "victim" of a higher price the second time as a buyer.  I forgot to bid on something, it "died on the vine" as I say...no sale.  It gets re-listed and sells for much higher than the starting price.  Suddenly there were 3 other people that wanted the item.  Just how the eBay ball bounces.

paul-f

This tactic is not limited to ebay.

I can recall several cases of items being advertised through the collector community for months at a constant price, apparently without response.  When contacted, the seller said something like, "The price is now $ (advertised price plus about 30 - 50 %)."  If pressed to sell at the advertised price, we were told that the advertised item had been sold and this is a different and "better" example.  Or that feedback from others in the group convinced them they were charging too little for the item.  Right!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line