News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

HELP Removing an Old decal

Started by Doug Rose, January 29, 2011, 04:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone ever tried to remove an old decal before restoration? I have this really nice WE 533B Wall phone, which is in really nice as found condition. Why the refurb? Its copper underneath, I want to take this down to copper. Yes, I know this is risky condsidering the fine condition the paint is in. Talk me out of it or tell me how to remove this great decal.......thanks....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

Here's how to remove the decal.........DON'T :o
It is a beautiful, completely original phone, why mess with it? It will be worth much more in it's original state than it would be after you strip it. If you can't resist messing with it I will take it off your hands ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Adam

Besides, unlike a sticker, I don't think it's possible to remove and save a decal.  Have you ever applied a new decal to something?

I think the decal is basically printed on glue, a very thin gel layer.  You wet the decal to remove it and its glue from the paper backing and then apply it wet to the surface of the object.  Then the glue dries, all that remains is the printing.

There's no "there there" to remove and save.  You can wash or scrub it off the object but I'm pretty sure there's no way to retain a decal while removing it.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

bingster

I know it's tempting to get to the copper, but I'm with Harry... To destroy such a beautiful original finish would be a crying shame.  Besides, the copper in these isn't pure "pretty" copper, it's an unattractive alloy that was never meant to be seen.
= DARRIN =

Phoniac

Kidphone, You can try soaking it in warm water to lift it off but, I doubt if that will work and if it does the clear lacquer film they printed the decal on is most likely dry and cracked and will separate in a hundred little pieces. Isn't there someone that reproduces these? I thought I've seen them.
If you want, you can buy decal paper and make one yourself just by taking a good photo and with a little adjusting in Photoshop print it right out on your Laser or Ink-jet printer. I have done this very successfully with Antique fan badges and the like. Here's one I've done and the link to get the paper.

http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm

JorgeAmely

Doug:

Can you live with yourself if you ruin the sticker? My feeling is that this one is tough to remove and put back over the cooper.
Jorge

wds

I've salvaged a couple stickers like that by covering the decal with that blue painters tape.  Trim the tape to the exact size of the sticker with a razor blade, then be careful not to damage or remove the tape when your stripping the paint with stripper.  It's worked pretty well for me in the past.
Dave

Jim Stettler

Quote from: wds2185 on January 29, 2011, 07:18:33 PM
I've salvaged a couple stickers like that by covering the decal with that blue painters tape.  Trim the tape to the exact size of the sticker with a razor blade, then be careful not to damage or remove the tape when your stripping the paint with stripper.  It's worked pretty well for me in the past.

Doug,
I think Dave's suggestion is you best chance.

Plan B would be replace it with a repro decal.

Gary Goff used to have a small variety of new decals, He had them made and they sell pretty cheap IMO. You may want to have some good photos of the lable (plan C) {have Gary's guy make you some repro}.

As far as should you do it? It's your phone to enjoy. I think it would look quite sharp in copper. I have seen photos ofsome of your striped phones, and I am confidant you will do this phone justice.

JMO,
Jim

You may want to check if that decal is avaliable as repro.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

stopthemachine

Quote from: Kidphone on January 29, 2011, 04:57:13 PM
Anyone ever tried to remove an old decal before restoration? I have this really nice WE 533B Wall phone, which is in really nice as found condition. Why the refurb? Its copper underneath, I want to take this down to copper. Yes, I know this is risky condsidering the fine condition the paint is in. Talk me out of it or tell me how to remove this great decal.......thanks....Doug
I agree with the multitudes on here.  As tempting as it might be to get to the copper, the original finish is just fantastic--especially with the WE decal on it.  Although we normally never make things easy on ourselves as phone collectors, I would strongly advise to do that this time.   8)

Doug Rose

You have talked me out of it, BUT I know I cannot control myself so I have listed it on eBay. If it stays around me, I know I will not be able to hold out. Copper base, Brass Hookswitch and Nickel Transmitter would be too much for me to take....thanks for the feedback....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

This is the first step, most of the paint is removed. Copper is pretty good, a little loss on the mount. Better than expected so far....Doug
Kidphone

cihensley@aol.com

Doug:

Oldphoneworks sells the decals.

Chuck

HarrySmith

Quote from: Kidphone on January 30, 2011, 10:51:39 AM
You have talked me out of it, BUT I know I cannot control myself so I have listed it on eBay. If it stays around me, I know I will not be able to hold out. Copper base, Brass Hookswitch and Nickel Transmitter would be too much for me to take....thanks for the feedback....Doug

Talked you out of it ???
It does look pretty cool, what are you using to strip it? How much copper is on one of these? Is there a danger of taking the copper off too?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry....I have had them with hardly any copper applied real thin, this guy was loaded really thick. I could use steel wool after the stripper. I always take it real easy in the beginning trying to gauge, just a q-tip and stripper moving the paint off slowly. Once you have gone too far, the party is over. I have almost all the paint of the main body, just a few crevices to use a tooth pick and stripper. Real nice shiny copper. The mount still has paint to be removed and had a tad of oxidation. Some times I just repaint the mount black if the oxidation is too high, I think this will be okay.

Chuck...I do have an few WE decals I got form Gary Goff, I just really like the original that was on it....Doug
Kidphone