News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE Starlite won't ring

Started by Dewdrop, February 05, 2011, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewdrop

This is my first Starlite. It will dial out. It DOES NOT ring. Had to take pictures inside today due to snow and too cold outside.

Can anyone see where I need to make any changes in the wiring part of the phone to make it ring?

Appreciate any help on this problem.

Debbie
Debbie

Wallphone

Debbie, Two of the prints that I looked at here said the ringer leads should go to terminals 15 & 16.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=265&Itemid=2 < If that isn't the problem then you'll have to wait for Terry or someone else that knows what they are talking about.

stub

Dewdrop,
              I have the same phone here and it looks like the ringer capacitor ( where the screwdriver tip is pointing ) has been replaced or may need replacing. It is a .47 mfd. at 250 volts. You can get them at Radio Shack. The next problem maybe a open ringer winding ( where the red and green wires go into ringer) . Here's how mine is wired  Line in green - 8
                                                          Line in red    - 10
                                                          capacitor - 8  other side cap 16
                                                         ringer red- 10
                                                         ringer green - 16
                                                                                                    Hope this helps .     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Yeah AE used those yellow caps as well as the dark red ones.

Looks as though the line comes in through the ringer and then through the cap and to the other side of the line.

These AE single gong ringers are very temperamental. They have the offset gong that can be rotated and they have the little bias spring on them. Try using your finger to see if there is any attempt to vibrate at all out of the clapper arm when you are ringing the line.

I have had to adjust the clapper arm in the 90 degree corner to make them work. I even found one once where the permnent magnet had gone missing completely. I can see that your magnet is present and accounted for.

Terry

stub

Dewdrop,
               On your 3rd pic, where the green ringer wire is attached to the ringer, is it making contact with the tab next to it? If it is, push them apart and see if that helps. That's about all we can do without a meter .
                See if you can feel the ringer move when you call it from your cell ,as Terry suggested. If you feel movement look for something blocking the clapper arm. Remember this is AC voltage and it can and will bite :o if you touch the wires while the phone is ringing.  Good luck    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dewdrop

Stub,

If I have time during my lunch break today I'll try it.

THANKS
Debbie
Debbie

stub

Dewdrop,
                 I have a Starlite Wall phone (192 ) with a ringer just like yours and mine and it won't ring when wired like ours is now . I got it to ring when I moved the green ringer wire to the unused lug on the red wire side of ringer. I would post a pic but I broke the plastic insulator off mine and I have to fix it.   stub           
                          ringer
                        0   0   0

0        0
                      Red       Green
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dewdrop

Thanks Stub,

I guess I should get back to the Starlite.

Just opened up a Kellogg 700 base for a peek inside. It arrived yesterday. So far no cracks, just ratty old cords.

By the way, how much snow did you get in your area?

Debbie
Debbie

stub

Dewdrop,
              We got about 4 1/2" of snow . Mother-in law and I caught the flu two or three days ago. . Good luck on both phones!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Dewdrop

Quote from: stub1953 on February 05, 2011, 06:24:19 PM
Dewdrop,
              I have the same phone here and it looks like the ringer capacitor ( where the screwdriver tip is pointing ) has been replaced or may need replacing. It is a .47 mfd. at 250 volts. You can get them at Radio Shack. The next problem maybe a open ringer winding ( where the red and green wires go into ringer) . Here's how mine is wired  Line in green - 16
                                                          Line in red    - 8
                                                          capacitor - 8  other side cap 16
                                                         ringer red- 10
                                                         ringer green - 16
                                                                                                     Hope this helps .     stub

When I have the
  Line in green - on 16
  Ringer green - on 16

both on 16 I don't have a dial tone
Debbie

stub

Dewdrop,
              ;D  My bad!  I can't see I guess.  ::) I'm sorry!!!! Eyes crossed!!! Been sick for the last 4 or 5 day.  FLU  I'll go back and delete the wrong info.   stub
                                                         Line in green- 8
                                                         Line in red    - 10
                                                         Capacitor     - 8  other side 16
                                                         Ringer  green- 16
                                                         Ringer red     -10
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

That sounds correct Stub. 16 is just a bunching point to connect the capacitor in line with the ringer and then the whole thing goes across the "line" 8 & 10.
Terry