"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

new member need help

Started by 11furby11, February 07, 2011, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11furby11

Hi
I just recently purchased a cool 1944 Monophone (bakelite?), (model 878036 ?).  I can't post pictures at the present time because my computer is having issues.

Anyways, I managed to hardwire the phone into a jack box, and run a two male ended phone cord to connect it.  I got a dial tone!!!!!  Then the bad part, I can't get it to dial out or ring.  When I begin to dial, the operator recording comes on stating to "hang up your call and try again."  Someone told me that the dial tone may be to slow for new technology, or the phone carrier doesn't have the capacity for a rotary dial phone.

As for the not ringing part, I heard it may have been part of a party line.  Someone please help.

Thank you so much for your time.
Cheers
Sherry

LarryInMichigan

Sherry,

The problem with dialing may be caused by a misadjustment of the dial or your phone service provider.  My guess would be the first.  When you are able to post a picture of the back of the dial, someone here might be able to see what the problem is.

Regarding the ringing, many of those phones were supplied with ringers which only work on specific frequencies so that only one subscriber's phones would ring on a party line.  What is printed on the ringer?  If there is a "SL", it should be a straight line ringer which should work.  If there is a number like "20", "33", etc. it is probably a frequency ringer.  Pictures are always helpful here.  If you do have a frequency ringer, it is possible to replace it with a straight line ringer.

Jorge has an excellent picture gallery including pictures of an AE40.  Check it out: picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE40#

Larry

11furby11

Hi Larry
Thanks for responding.  I had my husband load some pics.  Interesting, no bells, and 3 loose wires.  Looks like someone didn't like the loud ring?  I am assuming the 3 loose wires connect the bells?  Can you still help me  make it so I can dial out?  I have no bells, so connecting the 3 loose wires probably won't do me much good unless they are part of the dialing out?
Thanks again
Cheers,
Sherry

11furby11

Hi
I forgot to mention, it does have "SL" on the back of the dial.
Thanks
Sherry

stub

Sherry,
         Nice phone!!!! In your second picture, there is a diagram folded, that will show the wiring of this phone. Trace your wires out and you might find the problem and be able to fix it. Good luck!!!!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

Sherry,

You can also go to: http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=1856&Itemid=11 for the wiring diagram for your phone.  It should not be very difficult to trace the wires and put everything back where it belongs.  As for the missing ringer gongs, someone here probably has spares.  If not, you can probably get some from Steve Hilsz (http://phonesurplus.com/).  He also repairs dials for cheap.

Have fun!

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I just took another look at your picture, and I see that your dial is missing the most important piece.  The part which moves the pulsing contacts.  It will never work without that part.  If nobody here can supply a replacement, sending the dial to Steve Hilsz for repair would probably be your best bet.

Larry

stub

Sherry,
           Have you or your husband ever taken this type dial apart before?  The repair parts are shown here. If you think you can do the job you can have these parts but I haven't found any bells . If you don't want to try to fix it, I can fix it for you and the cost will just be the return shipping. If I can find any bells I will include them.
           Also when your phone is finished you will need to get a base gasket to finish it up. I think Gary Goff has them for 12.00 .     gdgoff@gmail.com       If you want me to fix it send a pm   stub1953
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

Larry,
          Good eye Larry, I couldn't see the forest for the trees.  It's a bifocal thing.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

I'll bet that those loose wires were disconnected by someone years ago to disconnect the ringer so that the local phone company wouldn't detect the phone and charge them for an extension.  I used to do that back in the 1970s.

Larry

stub

Larry,
        :o :o    What loose wires ! I don't have any more phones!! ::)  ::)
                                               ;D   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Wallphone

Good eye Larry. It is hard to see but the "threaded" part of that shaft looks awful short. I have a dial in my junk parts bin that has the threaded part of the shaft broken off. And for some reason not all shafts are identical and interchangeable. Sherry, do you see any threads on the end where nuts can be screwed on? If you don't, I would send the dial out and get it repaired.

11furby11

Hi
Thank you for all the advice.  This may be way over my mechanical know how.  Neither my husband, nor myself have ever had a phone this old.  We had the typical 60/70's phones as kids, and never took them apart, or I guess there would have been hell to pay!! 

It does look like a there is enough thread at the end of the dial shaft to support a nut.  Also, the wiring diagram is intact (good eye, I never thought to unfold it).  As far as fixing it, I haven't found anyone out here that does this.  I live in Victoria, British Columbia.  Stub, if you are interested in looking at this, I would happily send it to you.  Because I live in Canada, Customs will make it a bit longer to get to you, but I am purchase stuff on E-bay, and everything always arrives.  If not, maybe with some good direction, and some parts, maybe I can fix it myself.  Always up for a challenge.
Thanks very much for everyones time.  Look forward to hearing your recommendations.
Cheers
Sherry

AE_Collector

Quote from: 11furby11 on February 07, 2011, 09:40:10 PM
I live in Victoria, British Columbia. 

That is quite the "parts phone"! Needs PARTS!

How often do you go to Vancouver, or Coquitlam to be exact?

Terry

dsk

Sitting here in Norway, far away from spares, I would have tried to copy that red plate to the dial. Make it in some glueable not to soft plastic, and glued it on the shorty shaft you have. Use some baking paper with some fat under the part when you glue, and rip off the paper when it is finished. Then the unit should rotate.  The missing bells may be "stolen" from some newer phone, just to get this nice looking phone in working order.
As you see, the red oval is made so the contacts will open for about the half time of what they are closed. This is usually not very accurate, but try to make the same shape. Most exchanges will tolerate quite much difference from the ideal. 

Good luck

dsk