"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

new member need help

Started by 11furby11, February 07, 2011, 10:41:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11furby11

Hi Dsk
Thank you.  Everyone on this site is so wonderful!!!  I have a bad feeling that the shaft may be to short, I removed the dial, and as I look at the shaft  closer, I can see it was broken off.  I don't even know if an actual nut could screw on there, not much tread left.
Poor old phone. 
Thanks
Sherry

Wallphone

Sherry, I thought that it might be broke. Actually you need enough thread for two nuts and the fiber cam disk. There are members on this Forum that repair dials or you can send it to Steve Hilsz.

JorgeAmely

Better send it to Steve. To replace that part requires taking the dial apart.  :( :(

See attached photo.
Jorge

dsk

Quote from: 11furby11 on February 08, 2011, 11:57:48 AM
Hi Dsk
Thank you.  Everyone on this site is so wonderful!!!  I have a bad feeling that the shaft may be to short, I removed the dial, and as I look at the shaft  closer, I can see it was broken off.  I don't even know if an actual nut could screw on there, not much tread left.
Poor old phone. 
Thanks
Sherry

The idea of mine was to use the glue instead of the nuts, but of course you need at least 2-3 mm over the "bow".  Superglue will probably not be suitable, but 2 component epoxy should do the job.
This is just based on a tradition of trying to fix what can not be fixed. It works about ever third time.

Another option is to solder on a small pipe, threaded, and use 2 nuts and a homemade oval disk.
Still needed about 3 mm shaft to solder on.

Of course a new part will be better if it is available to a reasonable cost.

dsk

stub

Sherry,
        Here are the rest of the parts that come out that Jorge didn't show . 1st pic  
         Here are the 5 parts Sherry needs. 2nd pic          stub

Jorge,
         What kind of camera you using?  Nice close up, mine won't let me get that close.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

11furby11

Hi Stub
I just sent you a personal e-mail.  I think you probably might have just answered my question. I wrote you about that shaft.  It is pretty short, but it looks like you may have the part?
Thanks Stub, nice picture.  I think I'm going to learn a lot of cool interesting things about phones here.   
Cheers,
Sherry

LarryInMichigan

When disassembling dials, keep in mind that the small parts were specially engineered to fall off of the table and hide in the most difficult to find and out of reach places :)

Larry

stub

Larry,
          Kenny knows about, ooophs, and, what was that noise, when he rolled his chair back to look and see where parts fell.    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

11furby11

Hi Everyone
Thank you all for your help with this, what an amazing group of people!! Stub is helping me out with this poor old phone.  Thank you so much Stub!!!

I'm learning alot from everyone, I had no idea phones were so interesting.  Someday soon I'm hoping to find a 1970's phone in some crazy colour like orange or blue or something.  One that I won't find as intimidating as the old monophone. 
Sherry

JorgeAmely

Quote from: stub1953 on February 08, 2011, 03:39:58 PM
Sherry,
        Here are the rest of the parts that come out that Jorge didn't show . 1st pic  
         Here are the 5 parts Sherry needs. 2nd pic          stub

Jorge,
         What kind of camera you using?  Nice close up, mine won't let me get that close.   stub

Ken: I use a Nikon Coolpix 5000.
Jorge

stub

Jorge ,
              Sweeeeeeet camera, sharp focus on the closeup!!!!  That will be one to save for, if , ::) I could stop buying phones!!!   Have a good one !!    stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

JorgeAmely

Ken:

I rescued it from the trash, because the USB connector inside came lose and was rattling inside, causing random failures. I bought a small screw driver from ebay to take it apart and remove the defective connector. Now, to download the pictures I just remove the Compact Flash memory and put it on a reader. No big deal.

For a cost conscious buyer like me, the price was right.  ;) ;D
Jorge

stub

Jorge ,
           Good job!!!!! Great pic!!!   stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

Tom B

There's a similar AE Dial for sale on the bay for 99 cents at the moment - item number 170601139366.
Tom

AE_Collector

Quote from: JorgeAmely on February 09, 2011, 01:49:10 PM
For a cost conscious buyer like me, the price was right.  ;) ;D

Not to mention the good you did for the environment as well.

Terry