News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Could this be a NOS 1953 upper unit?

Started by Pourme, March 10, 2016, 07:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I was in the same antique shop I purchased my SC oil can stick at last month & saw this from the same seller. The $115.00 asking price is not what I'm asking about. It is dated 7 10 53 but it looks brand new. I don't know if the pictures do it justice but, there is hardly a scratch on the chrome. Is there such thing as NOS, here? There are scuffs on top of the dial but they look fresh. I will let you, that know what you are talking about, comment. What are the parts worth?
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

AE_Collector

The oronge ink stamp? I am going to go with 7 70 53 which is July 1970. The final digits in all these AE dates isnt date related but possibly a plant or shift number.

Generally there are more upper housings out there than lower housings. Repairmen carried spare uppers atound in all their trucks so they could quickly swap the upper housing out and send it back for repairs and/or cleaning. Judging by the scratches on the top of the dial bezel it looks as though the black has been repainted. Further indications that this may have been a refurbished upper that never made it back onto a payphone or if it did (has a phone number on it) it wasnt for long before the phone was removed and maybe upgraded to a single slot.

If a complete NE TT 3 slot sells for what....$75 or was it $50....this might be good for parts at $25 to $40 or so. Not terribly hard to find in the future if needed. I wouldnt be buying at $115 or the usual antique store discount of 10% off.

Terry

Pourme

I paid $50 for my NE pay station last week but it was a 12 button. I didn't know if a dial put it in a higher class, thus worth more. I felt $115.00 appeared way off base. He discounted my stick 35% so I feel he would take less, I have no use for it. I was just struck at the condition & wasn't sure of it's age. You answered my questions. Thanks!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service