"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from the Inland Northwest

Started by CWDubya, February 07, 2017, 06:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CWDubya

Hi all,

First time poster here from the Inland Northwest (Spokane area). I purchased a Western Electric 510 E/F from 1959, and worked on it a little bit to get it operational for my office. I've attached some photos, and any information, advice, or anything would be very much appreciated. As I have read on the forum and other sites so far, it looks to have been restored at a couple of different points. I didn't grab photos today of the handset, but it's a G1, with plastic caps I believe. I'll add some pics tomorrow when I get in. It definitely needs a bit more cleaning, and I'll probably try to restore it a little bit. I was going for the 'Mad Men' motif in my office, and the RCA multi line business phone was just throwing off the whole aesthetic, so I had to switch it up  ;) I look forward to chatting with you here, and to learning a lot!

Clayton

CWDubya

A couple more photos:

mentalstampede

Welcome! That's a nice looking 510. It should serve you well.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

HarrySmith

Nice phone. Fits that office perfectly.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Welcome to CRPF, Nice telephone. You need to get a dial disk put on that dial.  :)

jsowers

You're actually more accurate than Mad Men was, at least in the early episodes. They used keysets with clear fingerwheels that only came along in the mid 1960s, so they were about five years too new with their phones for a while. Your 510 is just right for the era.

This site has lots and lots of number cards...

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/we/we_blanks_forms.html

For a number card for your 510, try printing out the one at the end of the second row, with the blanks for two different numbers depending on the keyswitch. I think you put the last four digits of the first number on top and the last four digits of the second on the bottom and the area code and prefix, all spelled out if you can with an exchange name, in the middle. Like Area Code 212  RHinelander 4 in the middle and 2368 on top and 2468 on the bottom, or something like that. If you have a typewriter, it could be typed in, or you could use a compuiter to fill in the blanks.

Now if you get a well-stocked bar and a well-stacked secretary, your office will be complete.  ;)  At least that's how they did it on Mad Men.
Jonathan

CWDubya

Here are a few more photos of the handset. There's an interesting mix of dates and the photo doesn't show very well. But I think the G1 handset itself is dated 10-51(?), the receiver cup is marked 397 and appears to be bakelite, the receiver element is dated 11-3-59 and has 112 UI 44A markings, and the interior cup is unfortunately cracked. The transmitter element is marked 2-14-63 and TI, while the transmitter cap is marked 11-64 and E5 and appears to be ABS plastic. It doesn't have the nice crisp fit that the receiver cap does. I've attached a pic of the RCA the 510 replaced, also.

Thanks for all of the replies, and the information! I'll get to working on a number card! I did find out that we'd be TUcker or TUxedo during that era here. It'll be something to see if I can get it looking period and 'right.'

I know that restoration is very much personal preference, but what would you go for if you had this yourselves? It's representative of several WE rebuilds, which is cool, but that cracked cap kind of bothers me along with the ABS cup. But I'm on the fence about it. On the plus side, I tested out the signal key and it works, and it functions as a hold, so I've got all the functionality that I need for it! Another bit of tinkering that I did today was adjusting the ringer. I got complaints (already!?) about how loud the ringer was, so I tweaked the bell positioning to make it not as loud. So far so good!

Clayton

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum

-Bill in Walla Walla
-Bill G

oldguy

Welcome to the forum Clayton. I really like your office. I was a teenager in the 60s so I like the vintage of your office.
Gary

Greg G.

Quote from: CWDubya on February 08, 2017, 02:26:11 PM

I know that restoration is very much personal preference, but what would you go for if you had this yourselves?

If it were mine, I would pretty much leave it as is.  Only things I see are a bit of corrosion in the middle of one of the feet and a bit of rust which are only going to get worse over time.  Maybe try using a dremel tool on it.  Other than that I would just give it a good polish with Novus 1 and add a vintage dial card.

Quote from: CWDubya on February 08, 2017, 02:26:11 PM
It's representative of several WE rebuilds, which is cool, but that cracked cap kind of bothers me along with the ABS cup. But I'm on the fence about it.

I think you mean that inner transmitter cup?  It's not something that shows and doesn't effect the functionality, I would leave it, but since it bothers you, you can look for parts phones on CL or maybe someone here has one they can spare.

P.S. Welcome!
P.P.S  Your desk is way too neat! 
P.P.P.S. You need an ashtray for true Mad Men motif.  Almost everybody smoked back then.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Pourme

Welcome to the forum, Clayton. That is a very clean phone!...Nice office, as well!

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service