News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Just bought a WE 553 (I believe) Hotel Phone Questions from a Novice Member

Started by RichiePhone, June 11, 2012, 04:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichiePhone

Hello Everyone!  I'm very excited to have found your forum and that so many others have similar interests. I bought two WE phones yesterday at an automotive swap meet and I believe that one of them is a 553A "Hotel" phone and the other a 302 Thermoplastic model. Both appear to be in reasonable condition. I prefer to do cleanup and light restoration only to working condition (I like the patina).  I've attached some photos and would appreciate any advice on identification and how to clean, test and restore. I have a reasonable hobbyist electronic/electrical background, as I have been a Ham radio operator since childhood and have built, restored and collected several related items. Thank you for your help and for allowing me to participate in your forum!

The "Property of" plate appears to say "American Tel. & Tel. Co."
I can't find a stamp that says "553A" as I have seen in some of the other posts, but was pleased to find that the wiring diagram was in great shape and still there.
The receiver is stamped "Patent USA April 16, 1918" and "May 20, 1913" and "June 3, 1913".

RichiePhone

Does the information that I have sound correct, based on the photos?  Any help on dating this piece would be appreciated as well.  Is this a 553A?  I don't see any marking to indicate that, like I have found on other phones.  Thank you for your help!

poplar1

There is a model number on the diagram (possibly 554B?)  and a date stamped in red on the inside cover below the transmitter mount.  It looks like 1930 from here, but I think the base is older than that because by 1929 the gongs were inverted. I think these came out around 1916 as a non-dial, then around 1920 as a dial model. The dial version was  made (with an updated circuit and recoded 653A) until 1946.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HowardPgh

That phone should no harder to restore than any old radio.  Just take it apart carefully as the wires are stranded and tend to be fragile.  The back part looks dirtier than the front part. 
Howard

wds

Very nice find.  Looks like you have a #2 dial on there also.  I'd polish it up real nice and put it on the kitchen wall!
Dave