News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing Polane or other epoxy finishes??

Started by ThePOWERtoRULE, November 11, 2010, 02:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

I am in the process of refurbing a '57 soft plastic 500.  I noticed that the outer housing/handset has a very mild but, even UV fade as compared to the inner housing.  During the cleaning/polishing of the handset something very odd happened.  A small thin layer of plastic peeled off revealing the same color underneath just unfaded!!!  I am confused as to how or why this happened.  This phone could not have been painted or I just can't see why they would have painted it the same exact discontinued color?  Literaly,  As I was polishing away after a long soak in hot water and Simple green a small thin piece of the top layer of plastic peeled off?  I would compare it to peeling off the outer wax layer of cheese only to reveal a very similar color underneath.  I find it hard to believe a phone was factory repainted the same color when the color underneath is unfaded/damaged ???

JorgeAmely

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 16, 2013, 02:05:30 PM
I am in the process of refurbing a '57 soft plastic 500.  I noticed that the outer housing/handset has a very mild but, even UV fade as compared to the inner housing.  During the cleaning/polishing of the handset something very odd happened.  A small thin layer of plastic peeled off revealing the same color underneath just unfaded!!!  I am confused as to how or why this happened.  This phone could not have been painted or I just can't see why they would have painted it the same exact discontinued color?  Literaly,  As I was polishing away after a long soak in hot water and Simple green a small thin piece of the top layer of plastic peeled off?  I would compare it to peeling off the outer wax layer of cheese only to reveal a very similar color underneath.  I find it hard to believe a phone was factory repainted the same color when the color underneath is unfaded/damaged ???

If there was a small blemish in the plastic, they would have painted it.
Jorge

AE40FAN

If there was a small blemish in the plastic, they would have painted it.
[/quote]

Great, just my luck.  Must have been done at It's original creation as it has yellow stamp marks with numbers around the edges of the handset where the caps screw on.  The whole phone must be painted then.  My heart just dropped into my stomach as I paid a lot of money for this phone.  I feel like an idiot.

poplar1

I bought a yellow soft plastic 500 on ebay. I figured it might be all original since it has a fat yellow handset cord and a 7C dial with open finger wheel.

However, it, too, has a thin layer of yellow paint on top of the original yellow color. This was done in the early 60s I think, and the original phone was fairly new when it was done.

Maybe I'll find an unpainted soft plastic yellow 500 that the dial and cords have been replaced on; then I can use this handset cord and 7C-56 dial.

This week, I found a painted G-3 handset on a refurbished black 500. Underneath the black paint, the handle and transmitter are rose beige, and the receiver cap is ivory.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE40FAN

I believe only the handset "might" be painted and it is done so well that I am still not sure...   I've combed this phone over and I cannot find any traces of repainting on any other parts.  It's all matching dates so it may have been done before it left the factory.  Regardless, I am over it as the phone is turning out beautifully! 

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE40FAN on July 16, 2013, 09:58:28 PM
I believe only the handset "might" be painted and it is done so well that I am still not sure...   I've combed this phone over and I cannot find any traces of repainting on any other parts.  It's all matching dates so it may have been done before it left the factory.  Regardless, I am over it as the phone is turning out beautifully! 

Can we see a picture?

What month in  1957 was it made?