News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help needed understanding Tip and Ring L1 and L2 designation

Started by RB, April 11, 2019, 11:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

I would like to be educated on this issue.
It seems things may have changed at some point...
And not everybody is aware if it.
My recollection told me L1, is TIP, and GREEN.
Now, I hear it is supposed to be L2 is TIP, and GREEN???
Can someone correct this mis understanding please?
How did this happen?

Ktownphoneco

I don't think anything has changed, tip connects to Line 1 (L-1) and is still indicated (usually) by the color green.    Ring, connects to Line 2 (L-2) and is still indicated (usually) by the color red.
However, every now and then I see a factory schematic with "red' from the incoming CO line connected to L-1, and green connected to L-2.    I recently had a Bell Canada technician in my home to check a cross over from the telephone service provided by my cable company, back to Bell.    Years ago I had marked the incoming lines with "L-1 / tip and L-2 /  ring", and the Bell tech spotted it and commented on the fact, and confirmed it was correct.    All modern touch tone telephones have built in polarity guard, so it really doesn't matter whether or not tip and ring are reversed, and that may be causing some confusion.  Some of the schematics in the TCI Library for the 302 desk sets show "red - ring" connected to L-1 and "green - tip" connected to L-2, yet there are schematics in the library for the 500 series, and 2500 series sets where "green-tip" are connected to L-1, and "red-ring" is connected to L-2 on the network. 

Jeff Lamb

RB

Yeah, I have noticed that too.
There are a few type-o's in documentation that got through un noticed.
Makes it hard to be sure of things.
Every time I think I understand something enough to comment on it, I end up putting my foot in my mouth
As someone always corrects me...thank you... but is bums me out when the info I found, is the exception
to the norm...and there is more to the story!
Still learnin!

Ktownphoneco

The one thing I'd forgotten about, but promptly remembered once I posted my response, was the W.E. 1702B Princess telephones (Reference BSP 502-702-100).     It first appeared with a 10 button touch tone pad, and the CO line is connected to the set as tip / green to L-1, and ring / red to L-2.   Had the incoming line been connected the other way around, the telephone wouldn't dial out, because the 1702B didn't have a polarity guard, and the touch tone pad wouldn't break dial tone unless the set was wired correctly.      I'm quite sure that the engineer who designed the dial pad, did so knowing full well that L-1 is "tip / green", and L-2 is "ring / red", and designed the dial pad accordingly.    Things like that kind of verify the theory.

Jeff