"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally, a Clear Phone!

Started by HarrySmith, October 14, 2011, 09:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Quote from: McHeath on August 09, 2012, 12:03:17 AM
Really like the clean clear new plastics.
Took a lot of cleaning and buffing to get it to look that good!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

McHeath

Ah, so you buffed those.  Impressive results. 

DavePEI

Quote from: McHeath on August 10, 2012, 12:03:26 AM
Ah, so you buffed those.  Impressive results.  
I wasn't going to, but when I got the phone, there were sticker remnants above the TT pad on the top, and I scratched the plastic slightly removing them, so I decided to try buffing it by hand. I was scared to use the machine on it. Then I noticed how much it brought up the finish, so I decided to do the whole phone.. Glad I did!  Before I did it, the plastic was pretty good, but slightly cloudy.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Jim Stettler

Regarding replacement clear housings:
There are a lot of different manf. that kicked out some unmarked  clear housings. The transparency varies between brands.

Most of them  are the ITT/Cortelco with a sticker on the bottom and a Number moulded inside the housing. The ITT/Cortelco came as a standard phone with a clear housing or as a novelty phone with coloed innards and caps.

The clear (marked) 2500's that currently come to mind are:

Western Electric (marked)
ITT (unmarked) Regular
ITT (unmarked) Novelty
Goldstar Regular (1984) (marked)
Goldstar novelty like the ITT (marked)
ITT Only seen 1 (marked)
Northern Telcom Smoke tint housing.(marked)  This is an e-type phone. I was told that after a large order of the phones were compleated, they did a run of the smoky clear phones . 1 for each worker on the line.

There are some clear Acrylic unmarked 2500 housings that are very clear
Some of the Early 2500 unmarked plastics are more of a translucent than transparent plastic. They look clear untill you compare them next to a ITT or acrylic housing

I have only come across 1 clear housing marked ITT. I suspect it was made with sample plastic.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

Quote from: Jim S. on April 12, 2013, 02:37:03 PM
Regarding replacement clear housings:
There are a lot of different manf. that kicked out some unmarked  clear housings. The transparency varies between brands.

Most of them  are the ITT/Cortelco with a sticker on the bottom and a Number moulded inside the housing. The ITT/Cortelco came as a standard phone with a clear housing or as a novelty phone with coloed innards and caps.

The clear (marked) 2500's that currently come to mind are:

Western Electric (marked)
ITT (unmarked) Regular
ITT (unmarked) Novelty
Goldstar Regular (1984) (marked)
Goldstar novelty like the ITT (marked)
ITT Only seen 1 (marked)
Northern Telcom Smoke tint housing.(marked)  This is an e-type phone. I was told that after a large order of the phones were compleated, they did a run of the smoky clear phones . 1 for each worker on the line.

There are some clear Acrylic unmarked 2500 housings that are very clear
Some of the Early 2500 unmarked plastics are more of a translucent than transparent plastic. They look clear untill you compare them next to a ITT or acrylic housing

I have only come across 1 clear housing marked ITT. I suspect it was made with sample plastic.

Jim

"Northern Telcom Smoke tint housing.(marked)  This is an e-type phone. I was told that after a large order of the phones were compleated, they did a run of the smoky clear phones . 1 for each worker on the line."

Is this a smoky clear 2500 e PHONE?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Yes that is the NT smoky clear e phone. The other smoky clear phone model I am aware of is this NT designline type phone. (not mine)
I also have a WE trimline (sq button) housing in a darker smoke tint.

Jim
Good find, I only have seen mine and 1 a long time ago on ebay.
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

ISTR There may be the similar model to the above phone in  a standard clear color. (with a short stem for the receiver hook and smooth upper housing.)
I may have the photos on an old computer

Jim
You live, You learn,