News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Craigslist - Automatic Electric 50 Jukebox & 43A Space Saver Original Dial Cards

Started by John S, January 10, 2013, 10:33:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Morning,

Here are my latest finds.  I bought 2 Automatic Electric phones yesterday.  They were posted on Craigslist.  One is a jukebox and the other is a space saver.  They were posted for 50.00 each, but I bought them for 30.00 dollars each.  I negotiated the price down since they were really dirty, and the space saver headset is broken.  I never been a fan of Automatic Electric, but I think the Jukebox is one of the coolest phones ever made.  I like the chrome finger wheel and both of them have the original dial card. That to me is the cool part, the dial cards.  I always have trouble removing the dial card.  They will need some TLC.  Here are the pics.  

Nick in Manitou

I haven't got one (yet), but I also think that the "jukebox" is one of the best looking of the old phones.

Congrats on your find and I look forward to seeing the result of the cleanup effort on these phones.

Nick

LarryInMichigan

John,

You got a very good deal.  The chrome banded handset caps often sell for more than that.  I am curious as to what the thing on the front of the Space saver is.  I don't think that I have ever seen anything like it.

Larry

John S

Larry, never seen anything like it before.  They will need some TLC....but excited....

John

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Too bad the cap is broken rather than the actual receiver handle. Chrome banded caps are getting to be more rare now so it is good to have non chrome banded handsets in your collection as well. A chrome ring is missing I guess? Might pay to convert one handset to non chromed so you have one of each.

It is always the receiver cap that is smashed when it bungee cords down to the floor!

Looks like a black surface mount jack stuck to the front of the 43A. Should come off but I am worried that there may be a hole for a wire through the housing.

A good deal in any event.

Terry

kleenax

Quote from: John S on January 10, 2013, 10:33:08 AM
Morning,

Here are my latest finds.  I bought 2 Automatic Electric phones yesterday.  They were posted on Craigslist.  One is a jukebox and the other is a space saver.  They were posted for 50.00 each, but I bought them for 30.00 dollars each.  I negotiated the price down since they were really dirty, and the space saver headset is broken.  I never been a fan of Automatic Electric, but I think the Jukebox is one of the coolest phones ever made.  I like the chrome finger wheel and both of them have the original dial card. That to me is the cool part, the dial cards.  I always have trouble removing the dial card.  They will need some TLC.  Here are the pics.  

Strange; AE is my favorite!  :D

John, I can probably come up with a receiver cap for you if you want to replace that broken/missing one. PM me....
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

AE_Collector

John S

Thanks guys.....will you let you know when I get close to restoring it......
John

david@london

...........both of them have the original dial card. That to me is the cool part, the dial cards.  I always have trouble removing the dial card.   

.........this might help, presuming the ae retainer is jigged up the same. 

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=5833.msg70508#msg70508

John S

cello973

Quote from: kleenax on January 10, 2013, 06:36:37 PM
Morning,

Strange; AE is my favorite!  :D

John, I can probably come up with a receiver cap for you if you want to replace that broken/missing one. PM me....

The 43 I recently restored had two rivets in the same spot the screws are located. I recently found out that when they were installed in PAX service the holes were used for mounting an external buzzer type ringer so that may be the black box on yours.

To open the casing there is a screw on the bottom that when backed out should release the housing.
Vince

AE_Collector

The two "potential holes" in the front cover are meant to screw the front cover onto the edge of the table top of a desk and then the rest of the phone can be attached to the cover using the big bottom screw. Many marketing pitures show the 43A mounted to the edge of a desk. It is unfortunate to get one that has the holes drilled through. they are just dimples marked in the cover of a new 43A as a guide to where you should drill for that sort of installation.

Terry