"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE50 - Factory or MOD

Started by NorthernMan, November 11, 2010, 10:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: DavePEI on October 16, 2011, 11:37:21 PM
Re: the chain link fence, actually, there was one, but was open in one spot close to the dump. No, don't look at me, it was open before I started checking it out :-\

Dave

Lucky you didn't inadvertently "plug the hole" trying to haul too much out too fast"

Terry

GG

Very interesting stories!   

Where can I find a picture of the Canadian flag before it was redesigned? 

Re. bank robberies: now they do it from the inside, to the tune of billions, and then demand taxpayer bail-outs!

Re. dumpster-scrounging:  I wonder if maybe, just maybe, some of the grownups at the factory, and occasionally at telco COs, knew that kids were scrounging up various items to play with and build stuff with.   And I wonder if maybe some of those grownups might have secretly thought it was a good way to let kids use their natural curiosity and learn things that could help them get jobs there in the future. 

This would have led to some happily-surprised shift supervisors, finding out that their new hires had already taught themselves some decent skills in their spare time.   Good way to get a raise quickly too.  (You know you're living in "interesting times" when the phrase "get a raise" sounds nostalgic!)

DavePEI

Quote from: GG on October 17, 2011, 03:53:43 AM

Very interesting stories!  

Where can I find a picture of the Canadian flag before it was redesigned?  

Re. bank robberies: now they do it from the inside, to the tune of billions, and then demand taxpayer bail-outs!

Re. dumpster-scrounging:  I wonder if maybe, just maybe, some of the grownups at the factory, and occasionally at telco COs, knew that kids were scrounging up various items to play with and build stuff with.   And I wonder if maybe some of those grownups might have secretly thought it was a good way to let kids use their natural curiosity and learn things that could help them get jobs there in the future.  

This would have led to some happily-surprised shift supervisors, finding out that their new hires had already taught themselves some decent skills in their spare time.   Good way to get a raise quickly too.  (You know you're living in "interesting times" when the phrase "get a raise" sounds nostalgic!)

The Canadian Flag prior to the present one was called the Red Ensign. A short history and photos of Canadian Flags including the current one can be found on:

http://pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/df5-eng.cfm

The Canadian Heritage site.

From http://pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/symbl/df3-eng.cfm

"The names of Mr. John Matheson and Dr. George Stanley are well known in the story of the evolution of a new Canadian flag. Mr. Matheson, a Member of Parliament from Ontario, was perhaps one of the strongest supporters of a new flag and played a key advisory role. " and "John Matheson, who established the conceptual framework for a suitable flag, then sought out and combined the appropriate components to create it"

I'll not go into the story of how my brother and I got called up on the red carpet at school because of his daughter. a sweet and very beautiful girl who was a bit micro-managed by her Dad. ;) Had to do with a party we were wrongfully accused of arranging after a high school musical. But John Matheson was one of the greatest supporters of the new flag, and because of that took his rightful place in Canadian history and has my utmost respect.

You are correct. Whenever anything neat went into the dump, I got a call from a couple of my friend's fathers who worked at the plant to tell me where to find it, and what it was. That is how I found the 3 - 11 digit Strowgers when I was a kid (the ones my parents threw out when I went to college. Argggh!) They had come along with a switch from South America repatriated as part of an ungrading deal. Of course they were such old technology even then that they were no use for the plant, and they were discarded. That evening I got calls from both of my "informants" and by morning for some reason they had disappeared  :-\

A few years later, I wound up working with a contractor installing a Type 75 Strowger switch in my former high school and AE80s and 90s in every room donated by AE to the school, and with wire donated by Phillips Cables. It was the closest I ever came to working in Telecom (as I was scared of heights and terrified if I worked in the industry I would have to climb higher than the 8 feet or so it required to run cables through the ceiling there). The job took about a month to complete with two working on it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

Quote from: NorthernMan on October 17, 2011, 12:25:58 PM
I have found a reference and pic to this phone on page 13a in the revised June 1945 Manitoba Telephone System Instructions to Districtman.

Those are great books. Information on so many manufacturers of phones. I had one which I got on eBay several years ago, and in the move between houses, and the set-up of the museum, it totally disappeared. I have been on the look-out now for a couple of years without a sign. Alas, I am pretty certain it got into the wrong box and may have gotten discarded.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

GG

Dave - I'd thought I might have seen the earlier Canadian flag at some point, but nope, that wasn't it.   

And if your "informants" had ever gotten "caught", they could have made the point that they were substantially reducing the plant's monthly waste disposal bills. 

NorthernMan - That AE 50 has a GPO dial on it, old enough that it has the small number card retainer in the center and a black fingerwheel.  And the Canadian lettering where you can just barely make out Q and Z above Operator above 0.  But the 41 handset places it in the WW2 era.  Interesting combinations. 

Babybearjs

love the pics! good history. be sure to replace any missing screws on your AE50.... I noticed the capacitor is missing one... nice phone, I have one and its now a museum piece... bad audio.... just too old. I've never seen that kind of a dial on that series, so what everyone was saying about GB must be true... a european export, or maybe canadian... they used stuff from europe too, I think... just a interesting version of the AE 50 and great historical pics!
John