News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Candlestick for left-handed users?

Started by mariepr, October 11, 2010, 09:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mariepr

Just out of curiosity, has anyone come across a WE stick that was specifically made for use by a left handed person?  It came to mind because a WE 20AL that I bought had been partially disassembled and the shaft turned around so that the receiver would hang on the right side. Since the base pin no longer slid into a grove on the shaft is was pretty obvious that it was a home made adjustment.

I don't remember seeing any such beast in any WE catalogue.  Most likely they never existed.  In the candlestick phone era many left handed children were schooled to write with their right hand. (For two such examples see Gehrig, Henry Louis and Ruth, George Herman.)

Jim Stettler

I have seen a "left-handed, Blind-attendent" Western Electric 555 switchboard. It is for sale in a local antique mall.
$1600
$1200
$800
$400

It may of dropped again since I was last there.

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

oldphonelover

I could be wrong but as a great grand son to a left handed Great Grandmother, who had to quit school by the time she was in the third grade, because back then before the 1930's or even a bit later. It was looked at by being left handed as "mentally Backward". They would slap/beat her hand every time she tried to use her left hand.

So as a note and opinion, I doubt anything in the USA before 1930 would have been made for left handed people. Especially a phone. Kinda make sense too, because only people, in the beginning that had phones look at their standing in the community as something big and a lefty would be a bad mark on the family. Just a fyi

GG

FYI trying to force a kid to shift writing handedness can cause them to develop a stutter or dyslexia.  Fortunately the schools & culture eventually figured out that it was not a good idea to mess with kids' natural brain wiring.  And fortunately this was all settled decades ago rather than turned into some kind of political football. 

oldphonelover

Makes you think looking back as to who was really the "BACKWARD" ones..... LOL good ol school district who think they know best about our kids! And yes thank god now things and laws protect people from this sorta thing going on.