News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

eBay listings

Started by TelePlay, February 13, 2015, 08:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I've seen members make reference to this in several ways in various posts over the past month or so and I've been noticing this for a few months.

Is it just me or is it that the quantity of "good" phones and phone items on eBay had almost dried up and that the quality of those listed comes up a bit short of what we've seen over the past few years?

WEBellSystemChristian

I dunno, I think we're just highlighting mentally the great phones we've seen over the years compared to the phones we aren't seeing at this moment in time on ebay.

Right now, it is pretty dead on ebay, but I think it'll pick up again during the springtime, when unknowing people are doing "spring cleaning" at their grandmother's houses... ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Doug Rose

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for, Christian's early '36 302 with one mouse hole for $12 was a really nice find. Not likely to see another for a looooong time. It slipped by all the so called "knowledgeable" collectors, my self included and I did look at that auction more than once. It was also sold be a very knowledgeable collector.

I see a phone I want almost every week, but price is a factor. Couple of beautiful Ivory Norths come to mind. 

Looking at the Forum and the jump in membership, I just think there a many more collectors out there snapping up the "good phones."

Doug
Kidphone

Fabius

Seems about the same overall amount of good phones and phone related items. Though maybe starting prices or the buy it now prices are sometimes unrealistic.

My complaint is about the zombie phones. Those items that are relisted over and over and over.....

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Now that's a coincidence, I was just thinking about that particular zombie film from which that still is from, have no idea which one it was but I recall it cos the zombie there who is chained to the wall salutes his former commanding officer when he enters the room...  :o

Fabius

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 13, 2015, 10:34:14 AM
Now that's a coincidence, I was just thinking about that particular zombie film from which that still is from, have no idea which one it was but I recall it cos the zombie there who is chained to the wall salutes his former commanding officer when he enters the room...  :o

Day of the Dead.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Sargeguy

I think things are pretty slow in the wooden/candlestick department.  Maybe not so much for good high end phones, but finding parts has been tough.  I have a bunch of stalled projects that need some basic parts such as transmitters and switchhooks.  It's gotten so bad that I have actually paid down my PayPAl credit account to almost nothing!!!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Quote from: Fabius on February 13, 2015, 10:18:03 AM

... starting prices or the buy it now prices are sometimes unrealistic.

I've often seen a number of good phones on ebay for a good price, but it's the shipping costs added on that always kills it for me.  I won't pay $20 shipping for a $5 phone (or any other item, for that matter).  Exception to the example is if it was a highly collectible phone that would easily sell for well over the price plus shipping, but those are few and far between, and the competition usually ups the price, unless it was a "sleeper".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

Craig's List on the other hand-$20 for a complete 333.  The only non-original part is the 706A receiver, which I'm sure I can find a use for.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Maybe ole eBay ain't so bad after all!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Sargeguy on March 04, 2015, 04:15:36 PM
Maybe ole eBay ain't so bad after all!
Nice find, Sarge! Was that an auction or a BiN?

It looks like "atca" is back in the swing of selling phones and phone parts a bargain prices!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sargeguy

It was an auction that I was the only bidder on.  This is a good example of how these had a tendency to rust.  There are at least $12 worth of parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Partyline4

They're not only drying up on eBay, but in antique stores too!

We're definitely having a drought here in NC.  ;D

I thought I'd have several good deals on eBay, but as people will say over and over,

The shipping just KILLS the deal.

Plus, you've got these JoeBlows snooping on eBay for the highest price sold listing for a $10 phone and he jacks it up to $65.

People get worried that they might be missing out on profit.

It's natural. 

Just today I tried to bargain with a dealer. She thought her 65 Black north was worth $40.

If a few people buy something at high retail, it ruins it for people like me for a long time.

Especially if you plan to resell your phones at a later date ( you can't keep them forever! )  :-*

Sargeguy

I just finished soaking the front housing.  The paint and corrosion came of revealing the copper coating beneath.  I'm not sure how common it was to copper plate these, but this is the only one of the five I have that is this way.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I seem to remember a discussion about these. It did not come up in my search here, might have been on the lists. IIRC it was common practice for a certain period of time.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"