News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Painted Galion

Started by DeaconKC, August 16, 2012, 10:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeaconKC

The connections were all tight and no obvious broken wires. How would I check ringer and capacitor?
"Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose."

poplar1

Is one of the ringer wires connected to the yellow wire from the wall?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DeaconKC

Hmmm, it has a 4 prong plug still and came with a 4 prong adapter to a modular jack. What could be the culprit there?

DeaconKC

well, I went and checked the converter and the black and yellow wires are cut off! Even though i am a noob at these phones I believe that could be a problem! Which wire gets hooked to which terminal?

paul-f

Actually, only two wires are needed for current single line service.  By custom it's usually the red and green wires, so having the black and yellow ones cut is not a problem in this case.

Can you trace the red to L1 or L2 on the coil and green to the other one (L2 or L1)?

Check your phone against the wiring in this diagram.
  http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=4546&Itemid=11
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

DeaconKC

???
Well, you just left me in the dust! But thankfully I have a couple of friends who DO understand that, so i can take it to them and let them laugh at me. Thank you all for your help and patience with all my questions.

poplar1

Can you follow the green wire coming off the ringer coil and see if it is on L2 terminal (on the induction coil 101A) and not on terminal 5 (on the terminal strip)?

If it is on L2: Did you see the photos on Paul's website showing the difference in frequency ringers and straight line? I know you said it was stamped St. Line on the bottom of the phone, but sometimes these ringers were changed out.

Could you post  pictures of the ringer and wiring in the base of the phone?

DeaconKC

Yup, the green wire is on F2. Here are pics of the little beastie. One other question, could the modern jack use all 4 wires, because I have an other rotary phone that uses a modular plug and it rings from the same outlet?

poplar1

Well, that is definitely a straight line ringer and if the ringer is connected to L2 and 1, and the capacitor red to 1 and orange to L1, then it is wired correctly. So the ringer coil or capacitor may be defective. You can check the ringer with an ohm meter. 

As for the jack, you only need two wires (usually red and green or blue/white and white/blue). The other two wires would be for a second line or the transformer for the light in a Princess phone or older Trimline. The yellow wire was also used at one time on some kinds of party lines and connected to ground for selective ringing of the right party.

DeaconKC

Thank you. Hopefully I can figure it out!

Doug Rose

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6764.0

see my post...jump pos 5 to L1 if that doesn't work...L2. The 4 prong could be wired incorrectly....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

Doug, I believe that the green ringer wire is already on L2.  That is the same as having a jumper from 5 to L2 with the green ringer wire on 5...as for your other post, we never did hear from ewolfram again to find out if he got his working.

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on August 18, 2012, 10:12:16 PM
Doug, I believe that the green ringer wire is already on L2.  That is the same as having a jumper from 5 to L2 with the green ringer wire on 5...as for your other post, we never did hear from ewolfram again to find out if he got his working.
David...I agree, but where he said there was a 4 prong, it could have been wired incorrectly. With this jumper it takes the 4 prong out of the conversation as the phone is working. Jumping it to L1 if L2 didn't work was just hope against hope....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

DeaconKC,
Does the armature and clapper move freely when you jiggle it with your finger?
It might be wedged or stuck with dirt.
Howard
Howard