News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray cords: Straight vs. coiled

Started by benhutcherson, December 11, 2009, 01:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benhutcherson

I'm impressed by all the two-tones posted on here. They're definitely very interesting, if not a bit different.

"They just didn't have the technology yet to do all the dial faces in matching colors at the first, or that's my supposition. Long about 1955, maybe in the spring, the dials all started to match. It was probably a gradual thing."

My red 500 posted to this thread has a base date of 2/55 and a network date of 1/55. All of the other dates are within this range, with none later than 2/55, and none earlier than 12/54.

It's all matching.

So, based on my phone, which has the correct color code for red on the back of the dial, WE definitely did have the capability to produce red bezels in 2/55.

jsowers

Quote from: benhutcherson on January 06, 2010, 01:22:47 AM
So, based on my phone, which has the correct color code for red on the back of the dial, WE definitely did have the capability to produce red bezels in 2/55.

Red may have been the first color to match bezels and the rest happened gradually around that time. We'll never know unless we have a bunch of those phones in all the colors to see their dates. An early 500s registry would be a great idea for someone to start keeping, of phones we assume are original to their build date. I do know that red was the first color to have matching cords, around early 1956, a while before dark beige and green, which were about mid-1957. Red was always very popular.
Jonathan

Jim Stettler

Quote from: jsowers on January 06, 2010, 04:56:16 PM
Quote from: benhutcherson on January 06, 2010, 01:22:47 AM

Red may have been the first color to match bezels and the rest happened gradually around that time. We'll never know unless we have a bunch of those phones in all the colors to see their dates.

According To The Chesapeake and Potomac booklet (Russ's booklet) (1954)
Beige,green,ivory, and brown had colored dials,. Red,Yellow, Gray, blue had black , but will soon be in production with matching dials.
Ivory and brown always had matching cords. Blue always had a gray cord. "koiled kord" did eventually make a blue cord.
BSP C30-011 December 1953 shows the same info.regarding matching cords and dials.

In 1954 all the colors were available as 2-tone (black handset and dial.
The C&P booklet appears to be a "sales" booklet issued to installers.
Russ had 2 printings of this booklet done. I believe both printings are sold out. I suspect he would do a 3rd printing if there is enough interest.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jester on December 31, 2009, 03:07:37 PM
From what I've read, McHeath, that is right for the date this phone was made.  Jim Stettler & Jonathan Sowers have both mentioned "two-tone" and "black dial" 500s as being separate offerings in the color line, and, as I understand it,  they were both offered concurrently with the full color sets(once full color was possible--excluding cords) through at least 1956.

I think the black dial sets were only offered on Gray, yellow, Blue and Red and only until they got the matching dials made. The 2-tones (black dial and handset) were probably offered as long as the colors were available. My December 1955 BSP has a reference regarding putting a colored housing on a black set to create a 2-tone. 2-tone sets are not avaliable from factory stocks.

The black dial sets use a 7D-3 dial and the full color sets use  7C dials w/ appreciate color suffix.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jester

I was putting my "black dial" red phone & some other finished projects in the showcase Monday night, when I got the crazy notion to give the dark gray two-tone a thorough clean & polish.  I had spruced it up some 15 years ago, but there were some scuffs, scrapes & scratches that I thought my recent experiences could help make go away.  I also took the lessons learned from Jim's literature & Jonathan's observances to make this phone a closer representation of a true "two-tone".  After examining all the parts I determined that everything but the cord & cover was manufactured in March of 1955.  The cover is stamped 5-8-55 and the cord restraint is stamped III 55,  which jives with the idea that this phone was assembled with all black parts and the cord/cords and cover were switched by the installer, probably on site.

I also decided to install a straight black handset cord & matching black line cord.  Besides liking the look of straight cords, I also switched it because I didn't have an extra gray mounting cord to put with the spring handset cord that it came with.  I would like to use the gray cords at some point, but these look like they belong on this set.
Stephen

Dan

Beautiful! I like the straight cords on this.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Looks great!  I admire how classy this phone looks!
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Stephen.  I agree that the straight black cord looks nice.  From the photo in Russ' booklet, it looks like black straight cords would be correct.

Dennis Markham

Looking at Russ' booklet in better light now I can see that the cord on the Dark Gray set appears to be gray.  I guess I'm confused about whether or not the black cord was also available on those sets.  Whatever, it looks great!

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 09, 2010, 12:51:42 PM
Looking at Russ' booklet in better light now I can see that the cord on the Dark Gray set appears to be gray.  I guess I'm confused about whether or not the black cord was also available on those sets.  Whatever, it looks great!

In the booklet the cord does appear gray on the 2 tone gray set. they key point is at the handset in comparison to the other 2 tones.

I beleive that the 2-tones in the booklet were factory sets. I think it was later that they had the 2-tones created in the field

The chart that lists the 2 tone sets is December 1953. It only shows Ivory, red, green, Gray.

The statement that they are not avaliable from Factory stocks and to make them in the field  is 4-29-55
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jester

Quote from: Jim S. on January 09, 2010, 01:35:01 PM
The statement that they are not avaliable from Factory stocks and to make them in the field  is 4-29-55
Jim S.

Considering the dates of all the parts on the set above, it appears to me that this phone was "produced" right after the above statement went in effect.  No matter how it came to be, I know this was a legitimate offering from Bell, and what makes it an even better prize to me is that I got it very early in my collecting--before I really even knew what it was.  It has come to be my favorite.
Stephen

Dennis Markham

Stephen, it's a great phone and a beautiful one to have in your collection.  That red one ain't to shabby either.  I like the new Avatar photo.

Dan

Stephen, I had to share this one here, since it looks like yours. On the back of the phone it shows when "repairs were made" by the repairman. It says -replaced sticky black dial and added amplified handset with dates added when it was done. .  The dial is a 1963, as is the G6 amplified handset. The network and oxford grey shell are all matching 9-56. I am looking to take it back to an original 1956 two tone. I just need to find a black dial from 1956 and a handset also.

http://tinyurl.com/yk5buu5

http://tinyurl.com/yho4xj5

http://tinyurl.com/ygmqhqq

Would it make sense to go with a coiled black cord since mine is from 9-56 ? When did the straight cord to coiled transition take place?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on January 09, 2010, 04:34:00 PM

Would it make sense to go with a coiled black cord since mine is from 9-56 ? When did the straight cord to coiled transition take place?

The "Spring" cords were an option in 1954.
per a 1955 BSP straight and retractible cords were avaliable as options on 500 sets.
By1955 installers created 2-tone sets from black.
Spring cords became the norm on colored sets , before they did on black sets.

So either would work. I would opt towards a straight cord if you have one. But that is just my preferance.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,

Jester

I wondered who snagged that one.  To answer your question, my understanding is that straight cords were the norm through 1956.  That being said, the spring cords were a popular extra option at this time, and your phone may have had one, considering that it has a gray mounting cord.  As you may have noticed, I have a G1 handset with gray retractile cord that has no place to go except storage at the moment.  If you are interested, PM or e-mail me.
Stephen