News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Transparent small plunger 302 housing

Started by Jim Stettler, October 12, 2010, 03:21:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

I have mentioned my "Transparent Aluminum" small plunger 302 housing in the past.
I bought it as a housing only. (it had the grip and switches)

I assembled it with a junker that was sitting around. and I wired it as the junker.

I don't keep it screwed to the base because it has gotten stuck in the past.

The bottom edge has a lot missing. I think the base stuck for the previous owner as well.

I bought this years ago for around $350.00 on Ebay. Jon Finder was selling it for a friend.

I bought this before Ray K. started making clear housings. I figured it was my only shot for owning a clear 302 (and small plunger at that).

Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dennis Markham

Jim, I think it's interesting the way the wires from the base to the housing are "banded".  Did you do that work?  I recently saw similar "banding" (for lack of better term) on the Stromberg Carlson 1212 I just bought.  The wires were wrapped with what looks like string, in the same fashion as you have there.  It sure makes a neat way to store the wires.  I'd be interested in some tips on how to do that.

That clear 302 is very interesting.  You paid quite a bit paying $350 years ago.  How do you suppose the value has gone since then?  The clarity of the plastic sure looks good.  Seems like some I have seen have yellowed.

KeithB

I'm impressed with how thick the plastic is, yet still very clear. 

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 12, 2010, 08:08:50 AM
Jim, I think it's interesting the way the wires from the base to the housing are "banded".  Did you do that work?  I recently saw similar "banding" (for lack of better term) on the Stromberg Carlson 1212 I just bought.  The wires were wrapped with what looks like string, in the same fashion as you have there.  It sure makes a neat way to store the wires.  I'd be interested in some tips on how to do that.

That clear 302 is very interesting.  You paid quite a bit paying $350 years ago.  How do you suppose the value has gone since then?  The clarity of the plastic sure looks good.  Seems like some I have seen have yellowed.

The string you see is usually known as lacing cord, Dennis.   I've been around broadcast engineering most of my life so I'm familiar with this.   This is how quantities of cable and wire were bundled before plastic zip-ties came along.   I don't know this, but it may still be commonly used for smaller-gauge wire.  It's a waxed string.   Google "lacing cord" and you'll find plenty of info including how-tos.

If you want the official phone version, this came up on my Google search - #9 Waxed Twine / AT&T Lacing Cord

http://www.telephonetools.net/product_info.php?products_id=49&osCsid=5465b3aa97ec39a7d0c0b615a95b5312

Dennis Markham

Thanks for the info on lacing.  Now that you mentioned it I have seen some recent posts on the ATCA list about lacing.  I didn't take the time to read them through.  Someone was looking for some lacing cord. I'll have to go back and learn more about it now.  That is something I'd like to teach myself.  I guess not all phone manufacturers did that.  As I mentioned the S.C. phone had much neater wires as a result of the lacing.

Wallphone

Lacing was almost a MUST on the SC 1212. AE used it a lot and so did many Euro phones. It really neatens things up although it makes it hard to trace wires when they are not solid colored. The discussion was on the TCI Listserv also and was mostly about where to find the stuff. It is wax coated which helps in keeping everything tight. I have a roll of the wide lacing that I use when I bundle up newspapers and such. With the wax coating you don't need a third finger to make the knot. Lacing was used on machine tool wiring until they invented the Ty-Wraps.

bingster

It's a very common method of cabling conductors inside radio chassis, too.  It's very easy to do, and comes in handy in many unexpected ways.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 12, 2010, 08:08:50 AM
Jim, I think it's interesting the way the wires from the base to the housing are "banded".  Did you do that work?  I recently saw similar "banding" (for lack of better term) on the Stromberg Carlson 1212 I just bought.  The wires were wrapped with what looks like string, in the same fashion as you have there.  It sure makes a neat way to store the wires.  I'd be interested in some tips on how to do that.

That clear 302 is very interesting.  You paid quite a bit paying $350 years ago.  How do you suppose the value has gone since then?  The clarity of the plastic sure looks good.  Seems like some I have seen have yellowed.

The lacing was on the donor phone.
It was a 302 painted white, and then dropped to create a large and a small crack and a broken handset.
I paid $1.00.
It was the handiest donor I had.

Back then a decent complete clear 302 with for about $3,000.
I had a chance to buy one w/o a handset for $800
This for $350.00 (and small plunger). Didn't really seem that high.
At the time I was making high $ on ebay selling phones. I used to use some of the $ to buy stuff I wanted.

They don't yellow...... except for, maybe the soft plastic clear that I am almost sure exsist.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.