News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial and Finger Plate

Started by Lewes2, September 13, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

I need a bit of help with a really stupid thing.

How do I get the plastic finger wheel off this phone?  I thought I read it's a snap fit but it doesn't want to come off and I don't want to force it.  Also, the dial is dated 1966 but the ringer and network are 1957.  The dial looks almost new? 

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

With the number card missing, you can easily see the metal part (circled in yellow) that has the little tab on it underneath the hole (circled in green) that must be depressed by putting a small pin, or paper clip, in the release hole (circled in green).

That link poplar1 gave you above is how you do it. With the number card missing, you will be able to see what is happening when you put the pin in the hole and press down.

Lewes2

Thanks for the responses! 

I've spent considerable time going back and reading old threads on various topics but there is so much info for a newbie to digest. I should be reading current posting as well!

Curious about the code -60 you say means used to be beige. Are you saying that WE or Bell had a load of beige dials and subsequently they painted them a different color and reapplied the alpha/numerical info?   

Back to the workshop in the morning to remove and clean the finger plate.

I spent most of the day today building a wooden enclosure for a 302 base/subset conversion. I plan to use black lacquer to make it look similar to a real subset box.  Total investment is $3 for the box and another $10 for the lacquer. 

Chuck

poplar1

To clarify, this dial originally had a beige number plate. The numbers are not painted on.

Possible scenario: When the 1958 phone was returned to the Western Electric repair shop, the old 7C or 7D dial was changed to a used 9C dial. The 9C dial had previously been on a beige phone; so a new red number plate was installed.

Look for dates on the cord restraints and on the plastics, or on a label or vermilion stamp on the bottom. These could give you an idea when the phone was remanufactured.

Lewes2

I understand now, thanks. 

The dial came off and back on perfectly as described in the Dennis's link.

As you suggested, Poplar, check the components more closely today.  Pretty sure it was made in 1957, the dates on the network and ringer.  There is no date on the plate but lots of black paint.

But the curious item is the shell. There is a large AT&T behind the hook but no other external markings. On the inside, there is no name shown, only numbers and letters:

3A
S
G40

Nothing else. Google and other searches turned up nothing. Anyone know where this red shell might have originated?

Thanks

Chuck

poplar1

The AT&T Service Centers, previously Western Electric, started using the housings and handset shells with the AT&T name in 1983, IIRC. They continued to rebuild residential phones until the mid-90s, when the last Service Center closed. Your housing was probably made in China, according to my friend Bill, who retired from the Atlanta Service Center.

Lewes2

Thanks again, Poplar. 

I find it disappointing that this case is from China but I'm not surprised.  Being of the "Buy American" persuasion, I guess I'll have to look around for an inexpensive Cherry Red WE 500 shell to replace it.  I have this phone down in my workshop so it needs to be more than a pretty face.  I've already replaced the handset with an amplified one from Sandman.  I seem to be creating creating a utility Frankenphone.  ;D

/chuck

poplar1

I'm not sure what year they started making the housings in China. But they were used in the AT&T (former WE) Service Centers, so they're legit. The logo on the earlier AT&T housings and handsets had less bold font than the later ones.

Your phone is the dash 53 (-53) red used by Western Electric from 1953 until much later than ITT, Stromberg-Carlson and Northern Telecom had already switched to cherry red or bright red.