News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Model code Identification for ATC Genie Telephones

Started by RotoTech99, September 30, 2014, 07:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

I am researching the model codes for ATC Genie telephones, particularly the first 4 letters that identify the dial type, components used, whom the set was made for, and the configuration; (modular, half-modular, etc.)

I have found codes TEIFandTMBF on a few, and think the coding is similar to other ATC sets, but can't say for sure as I don't have documentation on Genie sets outside of catalog pages.

The "T" I know is for tone dialing, and the "F" for full-modular, but the "M" and "B", and "E" and "I" as they relate to Genies is what puzzles me. The model series; (8300) I figured out as well. There is also an 8301 Series, the deluxe ones with leather, etc.

I know ATC had a CS (Customer Sales) version, but did they also market versions to Bell Companies, GTE, and Independents?

If some knowledgeable persons can point me in the right direction, I'd be most grateful.
~RotoTech99

paul-f

I'm curious about these codes as well and hope some ATC, DecoTel and Comdial catalogs, practices and ads come in and are contributed to the TCI Library.

You've probably already found this one:

Comdial 1983 - A PHONE BOOK OF PHONES

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/777-comdial-1983-a-phone-book-of-phones
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotoTech99

I've seen that, and keep a copy of it to refer from.

Regarding the Customer Identifier Letter in the 4 letter code, which in the Genie's case is "B"and "I", I'm guessing "I" refers to Independent Telco's and "B" to Bell System, although the Bell System was technically in the throes of the "monopoly controversy that lead to the Jan. 84 breakup, so the B and I ended up being "moot points" before long.

The "M" and "E" regarding components used by a guess probably started as a "M" for mixed components, but was changed to "E" to represent electronic components, kind of generalizing it.

What do you think on this?

My thoughts here are mainly guesses based on what ATC documentation I've seen, so I'm by no means done researching; just waiting to see if better "leads" reveal anything.