News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do I remove the dial from a Northern Electric 302?

Started by RDR89, October 02, 2014, 09:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDR89

Ok I am moving along on my first good clean of a kinda smelly 302.  I am stuck on removing the dial.  I removed three screws from the inside ring and the dial and face plate from the front. 

How do I pop out the dial?

Thanks for the assist.  Took lots of pictures, hopefully I can get it all back together that is the real test.

Brian

Phonesrfun

From behind, not from the front.  Remove all the wires after making note of what goes where,  Remove the three screws that hold the dial into the plastic housing.  The dial will then come out, but might damage the rubber gasket if it is stuck to it.
-Bill G

RDR89

Really?  Is that the case because I have removed those screws and pushed very hard and it is not moving at all.

Phonesrfun

Early Tenite plastics shrink badly.  If the case smells kind of "cheesy" then you have a Tenite plastic phone body.  Push real hard.  It will come out, but it might be a bear-cat to put back.  :)
-Bill G

Kenton K

AFter removal, you could try sanding the hole a little so it fits better.

WesternElectricBen

At least the gasket is giving a tight seal, with no way a spill could protrude through the dial.

You can use a light chiseling method to remove the dial where you use a screwdriver, piece of wood, etc. to not mess up the dial with a hammer. Just make sure to go around the dial and make little taps, as you don't want to break the plastic. Obviously, do not place the screwdriver on the contacts.

Ben

RDR89

Bill you were right, it was the gasket that was sticking really badly.  I have it out now.  This is my first time with taking apart any phone and I do not want to be too rough but I got it. 

Thanks so much for the help!

B

RDR89

Oh yea, this thing has never been taken apart.  Vintage dirt and dust in here.

Doug Rose

give it a tap from the back with a screw driver in different areas until it pops out...Doug
Kidphone

unbeldi

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 02, 2014, 09:43:01 PM
At least the gasket is giving a tight seal, with no way a spill could protrude through the dial.

You can use a light chiseling method to remove the dial where you use a screwdriver, piece of wood, etc. to not mess up the dial with a hammer. Just make sure to go around the dial and make little taps, as you don't want to break the plastic. Obviously, do not place the screwdriver on the contacts.

Ben

I believe the dial mounting gasket was not used to protect the phone from spills, but to dampen the transmission of sound from the dial to the housing, which could act as an amplifier of it. The trend was to make the dial quieter for every new model throughout the dial development until they used plastics for the gears which really cut down on the dial noise.

I believe this hypothesis is supported by the fact that the dial mount even had rubber grommets for the screws so they would not be in direct contact with the housing.  If it were to protect against liquids leaking through there would have been no reason to isolate the screws too and they could have made the screw holes as small as in the B and D housings and saved themselves the cost for the brass inserts.

Of course the shrinking of the plastic spoiled this idea, but they did not foresee anyone keeping the phone for 50 years.

poplar1

Perhaps worth mentioning that the 59A dial adapter (gasket) was originally designed for use with metal housings, even though they were retained for the plastic housings. Also, the transition from phenol pulse pawls to metal on 5H dials in II 38, and from 5Hs  to 6As and 7As, did not result in quieter dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Both of your ideas make perfect sense... The gaskets could also be used to reduce the vibration.

Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
Perhaps worth mentioning that the 59A dial adapter (gasket) was originally designed for use with metal housings, even though they were retained for the plastic housings.

Were they used to prevent corrosion of two different metals that would be in contact with each other if the ruber gasket were not there? Or as a "lock washer" function? Or both? Or neither?

Sargeguy

Put phone in oven on it's lowest setting/warm (about 170 degrees) for 10 minutes then push the dial out.  This will prevent you from launching your dial across the living room or damaging the contacts by tapping on them.  This also helps with tight bases.  Remember to set your oven timer so you don't melt the phone. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Quote from: TelePlay on October 03, 2014, 04:57:57 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on October 03, 2014, 10:36:53 AM
Perhaps worth mentioning that the 59A dial adapter (gasket) was originally designed for use with metal housings, even though they were retained for the plastic housings.

Were they used to prevent corrosion of two different metals that would be in contact with each other if the ruber gasket were not there? Or as a "lock washer" function? Or both? Or neither?

Galvanic corrosion requires something to act as an electrolyte between the metals. The dials were painted and so were the metal housings.