News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE Receivers, Caps, Internals (Please add your AE examples to this post)

Started by AE_Collector, July 02, 2016, 07:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Here are two pictures of a typical AE Receiver that poplar1 posted in another topic. Here is that topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16425.msg170278#msg170278

If anyone can add any info about this receiver type and dates they would have been used please do.

Terry

AE_Collector

Here is a later AE receiver utilizing the capsule and internal contacts just like in an AE 40's type 41 handset. "Rdelius" stated that this AE capsul receiver is known as a "type 42".

Poplar1 posted this in another topic and my guess is that the pictures and receiver belongs to "wds". They were from an eBay listing.

I would assume that this type of receiver would have been created in the very late 1930's to use this new capsule type that AE had developed in about 1938/1939 for the new AE40/50 phones.

Please add any info and/or pictures that you have of AE receivers here or any other components in the appropriate child board here.

The idea of this "Telephone Component Identification" area of CRPF is to provide descriptions with pictures to help identify components of phones.

Terry

wds

I thought I recognized the pictures!  Here's a couple more AE receiver type.  I was told that the first one was used on the 11 digit wood phone. 
Dave

Jack Ryan

I think there was another AE receiver between the OST receiver and those shown. Usually on the 1905 model phone but probably on the 1903 model as well.

Jack

stub

wds,
        Your 1st pic is a Direct-Current Receiver used on the series circuit . AE Bulletin 1015 , 1929, pg. 30 .   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Jack Ryan

The DC receiver wasn't used on Strowger telephones - as far as I know they weren't used until about 1909 after the change to two wire operation and small (Sunburst) dials. Common battery Strowger telephones used a booster circuit and a (magnetically) biased receiver. Local battery Strowger telephones also used a biased receiver.

Jack

wds

Here's another one that is slightly different than the first DC receiver I posted a picture of.  Older style cap, and the metal weight is sealed into the receiver and can't be removed.

Stub - your picture seems to be for my 2nd DC picture, not the first one, as the 1st one has the loose metal weight.  I'm going to try and find that 1st DC receiver and take better pictures.  No telling which phone it's hanging on.
Dave